LME for starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rcbandl

Reaction score
Anyone use LME for starters? Ran out of DME so I had to use some LME from a kit that I got with a craigslist brewing gear purchase.

I do all grain, but had some LME that I got in a free kit. Been using it for my last few starters just fine. It is way more of a hassle to use than DME.

I do all grain, but had some LME that I got in a free kit. Been using it for my last few starters just fine. It is way more of a hassle to use than DME.

I guess it is what you are used to. I find DME a lot more hassle to use than LME.

I do it sometimes and it is fine. It is more of a pain than DME and doesn't store as well so I usually have DME around for starters. If it isn't very fresh LME I would make sure that i decanted it well before pitching. And I think there might be more inconsistency in LME points/lb/gallon due to variable water content so if you really want to know your starter grav you might want to measure it. But overall it works fine.

I guess it is what you are used to. I find DME a lot more hassle to use than LME.

How do you measure it? LME is so viscous and sticky. If I wasn't so cheap, I'd probably just dump the last 3 pounds of LME I have into my next brew and buy DME.

Last I read 1lb of LME in one gallon of water will produce an OG of 1.037-1.039.
You could do the math to figure it out from there or run a test batch and test the gravity.
Considering your LME has been stored properly you could get roughly six 2L starters from your three pounds.

Last I read 1lb of LME in one gallon of water will produce an OG of 1.037-1.039.
Not to be too technical or anything, but actually it's 1 lb of LME in 1 gallon of wort (with the LME included) that gives you 1.036. If you add 1 gallon of water, the gravity will be less.

But for starters, there's little need to be that fussy.

Cheers,

How do you measure it? LME is so viscous and sticky. If I wasn't so cheap, I'd probably just dump the last 3 pounds of LME I have into my next brew and buy DME.

I make 10 pints of starter wort at a time, and store in 24 ozs Mason jars in the fridge until needed. For 10 pints I need 1.25 lbs of LME to get a 1.036 wort. Fills 7 of these mason jars.

I put 9 pints of water in the pot. Then pour out ~1.25 lbs of LME (I have a Pyrex pint jug on kitchen scales).

I buy LME is 33 lbs containers (~$2/lb). I just pour it until the scales read about 4 ozs short (1 lb in this case), raise the container and wipe my finger across the top of the container to make a clean break from the container (no it doesn't contaminate the rest of the LME). I end up with about the right amount; close is good enough!

I generally split the LME into smaller containers for storage in the fridge when the main container gets about half full. When I use LME from these smaller containers, I use a large spoon to take it out, and turn the spoon (over and over) to get it clean from the container.

Once the starter wort has boiled for about 10 minutes, I dip the Pyrex jug in (holding the handle) to sanitize it, then hang it on the side of the pot. Remove from heat, and use the Pyrex jug to scoop and pour the wort into clean mason jars (not necessary to sanitize, the heat will do that for you). Place the lids on, screw tight, invert for a few minutes to sanitize the lid. Place in garage overnight to cool and then store in fridge.

If you do anything like this, it is important to store in the fridge, below 40 F.

It's handy to have starter wort always handy. If I ever want to try and grow yeast from a commercial bottle, I'll just pour a few ozs of starter wort in from one of the jars straight into the empty bottle, and dilute with similar amount of previously boiled water from the kettle. No having to make special wort for it.

Latest posts

Back