LME as marinade?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spludge

Reaction score
Gonna grill up some steaks in a bit, anyone used LME in their marinade? I was think of substituting some light dry extract for brown sugar in a marinade with honey and a few other things...
Has anyone done this before? Good idea or drunken rambling?

Its a good sugar- I would say its good sub for light brown.

As long as you have some salt and some spice

I've thought about using it in cooking. Adding it to a batter or something. Either DME or LME. Wonder if LME would work in place of egg for some chicken fried steaks or something. Dunk in LME, dust with seasoned flour, fry. :D

I got some Lawry's and a pinch of a few spices going in, we shall see if it is good or not.
Chicken fried steaks sound bomb right now!
How the weather up there in Anchorage flynn? From what the family is sayin it looks like there will be an actual summer up there as opposed to last summer...

****ing awesome summer so far!

Too bad I gotta get rid of my Suzuki. But I guess I got good reason. Got a Kid due in Sept/Oct

Congrats! Zuke's are sweet, you a member of alaska4x4network.com?

I make a Jack Daniels marinade for steaks sometimes and it goes like this:
equal parts (usually 1/4 c) of Jack, soy, dijon, brown sugar ( try DME ) and 1 or 2 finely chopped shallots. I might have to try it myself...

Gonna grill up some steaks in a bit, anyone used LME in their marinade? I was think of substituting some light dry extract for brown sugar in a marinade with honey and a few other things...
Has anyone done this before? Good idea or drunken rambling?

Just had to ressurect this thread cuz I've been experimenting with LME as a marinade & as a component of BBQ sauce. I gotta say, it's just freakin' AWESOME!!!

The flavour is just outstanding & it doesn't burn as easily or quickly as honey or brown sugar. It really does make both the acid & savoury/spice components of a sauce/marinade pop.

I find that using beer, as great tasting as it is, tends to dry the meat due to the alcohol; but the LME give the meat a nice malty goodness without drying the meat. I've been thinking about using unfermented wort in a marinade too; to get more beer flavour without the drying effect of the alcohol, but I've yet to try it.

I've used beer reductions with varying degrees of success, usually the bitterness from the hops gets to be a bit much, but I'm thinking maybe a reduction of unhopped wort might be another way to an end, especially if you're wanting to add a bit of depth. Might be nice to have a moist, juicy piece of meat with a nice malty porter flavour running through it.

I haven't used rubs much, but now I'm wondering if DME might be incorporated into a dry rub of some sort, in theory, it should melt & help form a crust, much like brown sugar.

So, anybody else been using LME/DME in their marinades/sauces? Post your results, I for one would like to know how it's working out.
Regards, GF.

EDIT: Mods, could we get this moved to the cooking section please?
Regards, GF.

I would like to eat at your place for a week!

My only reservation would be using DME as a a rub for ribs. Ever bottled and had that crap all over the place? I feel like putting my hand on the rub would immediately mean DME covering them.

Just a thought. Good luck and share results!

And recipes :)

So, anybody else been using LME/DME in their marinades/sauces?

Sean Paxon at NHC last year had a great dessert made with LME and cascade hops (can't remember exactly what it was, but it was good!).

I use DME instead of plain sugar in my pizza dough. It adds a little complexity and residual sweetness.

I've never tasted straight up DME but would it be similar to malted milk? I put malted milk on ice cream and it's great.

Disclaimer: I have no freaking idea what malted milk is made from. I just know that they are both sticky as hell when moisture hits them.

Back