Little Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ty1erC

Reaction score
I’ve been brewing for about a year now, and I’d like to no longer consider myself a beginner, however I’ve found myself in a state of confusion once again with my current brew. I made an IIPA about 2 months ago with an OG of 1.092. After about three weeks, the thing only finished at about 1.030. I went ahead and bottled it. There was so much sediment, that I only ended up with 4 gallons of beer. Using the following formula, I calculated that 3.6oz of corn sugar was needed to prime:

4.5oz/5gal = x/4gal, x = 3.6oz

The bottles have been conditioning for over a month, and they have barely any carbonation. Is there a flaw in what I did there? I was thinking about adding some more sugar to each bottle and recapping. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I’ve been brewing for about a year now, and I’d like to no longer consider myself a beginner, however I’ve found myself in a state of confusion once again with my current brew. I made an IIPA about 2 months ago with an OG of 1.092. After about three weeks, the thing only finished at about 1.030. I went ahead and bottled it. There was so much sediment, that I only ended up with 4 gallons of beer. Using the following formula, I calculated that 3.6oz of corn sugar was needed to prime:

4.5oz/5gal = x/4gal, x = 3.6oz

The bottles have been conditioning for over a month, and they have barely any carbonation. Is there a flaw in what I did there? I was thinking about adding some more sugar to each bottle and recapping. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I would leave it alone for another month. Its not ready yet

Yeah keep it upstairs and try it another few weeks. You can even turn each bottle upside down for a minute or so to get the yeast back in suspension. You probably just have lazy yeast.

Yeah keep it upstairs and try it another few weeks. You can even turn each bottle upside down for a minute or so to get the yeast back in suspension. You probably just have lazy yeast.

I've never had something take longer than 2 weeks to carb up before, but I've also never brewed a beer this big before. I'll try to develop some more patience. Thanks.

High gravity beers like this one will need more time to Carb and condition.

Let it set upstairs for a few more weeks, maybe even a month. Then refridgerate a few for 3 days minimum and try them.

Back