Little Brown Keg Thread & Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Synap6

Reaction score
Thought I'd start a thread on the Little Brown Kegs by Mr. Beer.

To put things in perspective, I have never brewed a Mr. Beer kit, but found one of those kegs for 5$ and thought I could make good use if it.

I started out brewing 1-gallon batches but quickly realized how much of a drag cleaning all the equipment can be, and how uselessly complicated it can be to transfer-bottle the beer alone.

THEREFORE, I upped my brewing to 2 gallons and opted to try the LBK: very easy to clean, has a 'tap', good quantity of beer for my once-in-a-while drinking habits, etc. I've quickly fallen in love because the LBK means no tubing to clean, no carboy to fight with, no siphoning, no bottling wand, no headaches. Fore brew day and for bottling day combined, all i need are: Starsan, a 5 gallon bucket in which i soak my items, my LBK, my bottles & bottle brush, my grain-hop bags, a stir-spoon, a strainer and my pot. Nothing else!

So I bought a SECOND LBK :beard:

I figured I'd start a thread on 2 gallon batches (or 2.5) to share with other people who use the LBK.

Who else is using them? Also feel free to share your 2 gallon recipes and your other techniques using the LBK!!

Here's one recipe that's currently in one of my LBKs (i'm somewhat of a noob and haven't yet botherd with OG-FG readings. I simply brew it, then deal with it :cool:)

(LHBS was closed and i had extract and time on hand)

Final batch size = 1.85 gallons ( :confused: did not want to dilute to 2gallons)

DME Light extract : 2.2 lbs (1kg)
2-row: 0.28 lbs (128g)
Crystal 40L: 0.28 lbs (128g)
Biscuit Malt: 0.05 lbs (20g)
---2-row, crystal 40l, biscuit were mashed at 154f for 30 mins---

Chinook @ 60mins 0.6 oz (17g)
Citra @ 15mins 0.2 oz (6g)
Chinook @ 15mins 0.2 oz (6g)
Citra @ 5mins 0.4 oz (12g)
Citra @ 0mins 0.4 oz (12g)

Citra @ Dry Hop 0.6 oz (17g)

Safale S-05 1/2 pack