Little Blonde Girl - Best way to utilize fresh honey?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmex41

Reaction score
My wife's aunt and uncle are the creative types. They make rocking chairs out of instruments and do the recycled trash art.

Another one of their hobbies is Bee keeping. So my wife can get fresh honey.

I want to know if I should add some to the boil, or if I should just use it as my priming sugar.

Here is what I have so far:
8lb Golden Promise
1/2lb honey malt

1/4oz magnum 60 min (16.8%)
1/4oz Amarillo 10min
1/4oz Amarillo 5min

1oz Amarillo and:
1/2 oz Citra dry hop.

1.045 OG
20 IBU
5.5srm
4.4% ABV

I like the ABV where its at now, so I'll either cut back a little of the GP and add the honey, or just use it to bottle prime and condition.

Most of the flavour from the honey is going to ferment out with the sugars. You'll get more honey flavour from the honey malt. That being said, why not save that honey for a braggot? With a braggot, the flavour & aroma of the honey will not only come thru, but should even dominate the malt & hops.
I just don't see the point in using honey if you can't taste it.
Just my 2 cents worth. Regards, GF.

You can condition with honey for sure, always a good idea. Or add it at the end of your boil to have it act as fermentables without blasting off the delicate flavours with heat. Or yeah, do something fun with mead or braggot.

Ok I think I will just use it to carbonate and save the rest for a mead.

Another question here is, I have a half oz of Amarillo left over. Am I better off adding them at, say 5 or so?

Back