Lite cream ale help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

00Seven

All-Terrain Brewing Company
Reaction score
I brewed the cream of three crops ale a few weeks ago and my friends drank almost the entire 5 gallons in a day, so obviously it was a hit. However I'm wanting to make it more of my own and make a light version of it. I want to change the profile around to give it less corn flavor. My friends drink Miller Lite and Coors Lite, these are fine for me though my preference is for Milwaukees Best Light. My goal is for an OG of 1.032 and a FG around 1.000 giving me an ABV around 4.2. A 5.25 gallon batch would look like

6# pale 6-row (need help here)
.75# flaked or minute rice
.5# flaked corn

90 minute mash at 152

hops
1oz saaz @60
1oz hallertau hersbrucker @60

yeast S05

ferment @ 64 degrees 7 days
bring to 70 for 3 days then rack into secondary
add 1 tsp amylase
1 week in secondary @64
cold crash then keg

My biggest questions are:
6 row vs 2 row malt? Whats the benefit of each? I've read that perhaps a Mic Ultra uses 6 row
Would this grain bill lead to a more crisp less corn flavor?
Would a FG of 1.000 be possible and how would that make my beer taste?
I don't care much about the hops schedule, I just put these in because I have some on hand and it gives me the right IBUs but I'll gladly listen to any input y'all have.

If I was shooting for a lighter beer, with a gravity that low with minimal corn flavor, I'd probably ditch the corn altogether, use 30-40% flaked rice and six row. Mash at 148 for 90.

Six row has a more grainy flavor than 2 row, but it has a higher diastatic power, meaning it can convert a larger amount of adjuncts.

Your recipe as is will be fine with 2 row, as you have a lesser amount of adjuncts.

Use whatever hops you want to reach your intended IBUs. Bittering hops are pretty inconsequential.

Also, if you want to make it even crisper and cleaner, you could use Fermentis 34/70 lager yeast. Its 100% capable of producing lager like beer at ale fermentation temperatures. Keep it around 65 for a couple weeks and you're golden.

That's going to be a pretty low alcohol beer.

Miller uses corn as an adjunct, so I wouldn't cut it out if that's what you're shooting for.

You don't have to use 6 row with that small of an amount of adjunct. 2 row will convert that with no problem.

6 row is higher in enzymes (why it's used in high adjunct beers) but it also has a lower extract potential than 2 row. You can boost it a bit by tightening up the mill to get a better crush since the grains are less plump than 2 row. A mill set for 2 row will give a poor crush on 6 row.

How dry your beer will get just depends.

As mentioned, the 6-row is unnecessary because 2-row has plenty of DP to convert the adjuncts. Especially if you ditch the corn. Also, 6-row can contribute to DMS which is a corny off flavor.

To get it drier, you can try to mash at 148 instead of 152 and use a lager yeast, as mentioned. Skip the secondary if you do the s05 but I suppose the amylase would be a way to kill your beers body and dry it out like you want to

Back