Liquid yeast starter necessary for 2 gallon batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbyg

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm planning to brew a 2-gallon batch of California Common on Tuesday. I'm contemplating using Wyeast #2112 as my yeast this time around, as it looks to be a common yeast of choice for this style. This would be the first time I've used liquid yeast, so I suppose I'm a little nervous.

My question is, would a starter still be necessary (or at least advised) for a batch of this size? If so, what size of a starter should I shoot for? It seems that most everyone creates a starter for their liquid yeast in 5-gallon batches, but my little guys will have less space to fill.

Alternatively, I have a packet of US-05 on-hand, which is supposed to be fairly versatile. But its "clean finish" style probably wouldn't result in the flavors associated with California Commons, correct?

I don't believe you would need a starter for a 2 gallon batch of 1.048 - 1.054 OG beer. One full smack pack is probably just the right amount, if not a bit more than you need insofar as cell count goes.

You should check out the yeast pitching rate calculator at www.mrmalty.com. It's a good tool to determine how much you need to pitch, how big a starter you need (or don't need), and all that...once you get a handle on how to use it.

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Thanks for the reassurances. :) I'd previously used Mr. Malty to determine my repitching rate from a slurry, but I'd forgotten it could tell me liquid yeast starter sizes as well.

Latest posts

Back