Liquid yeast and temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well i started my first batch of beer in a couple years last night and for the first time i am using liquid yeast. I have a quik question about liguid yeast and temps. I did not use a starter as i probably should have. I used Wyeast 1056 and i popped the little bag inside. I let it sit for about 4 hours and it grew a little ( i could not squeez the the pack) I had assumed that the starter pack inside had ruptured but when i opened the yeast pack it had only a very small hole in it and the liquid was still in the pouch. I had allready had my wort chilled in the carboy awaiting the yeast. So i poured the yeast into the carboy and capped it with an airlock. The temps have been around 63 the the hole time, should i raise it to around 72-74 for a day to get the yeast going? The airlock is releasing a bubble about every 4 minutes.

lovemyhomebrew said:
Well i started my first batch of beer in a couple years last night and for the first time i am using liquid yeast. I have a quik question about liguid yeast and temps. I did not use a starter as i probably should have. I used Wyeast 1056 and i popped the little bag inside. I let it sit for about 4 hours and it grew a little ( i could not squeez the the pack) I had assumed that the starter pack inside had ruptured but when i opened the yeast pack it had only a very small hole in it and the liquid was still in the pouch. I had allready had my wort chilled in the carboy awaiting the yeast. So i poured the yeast into the carboy and capped it with an airlock. The temps have been around 63 the the hole time, should i raise it to around 72-74 for a day to get the yeast going? The airlock is releasing a bubble about every 4 minutes.

How long has it been in the fermenter?
Did you shake the **** out of the pack after you smaked it? (I think you're fine)
Use your hydrometer to determine the fermentation progress. Did you take an initial reading?

The temperature for that yeast ranges from 60-72 degrees so I wouldn't mess with it yet. 36-48 hours is the window I would be looking at for fermentation "peak".

it has been fermenting for 16 hours. I do not have a hydrometer (it was broke in the move) so i did not take an intial reading. I did shake the pack after i smacked it. The yeast package said i could either pour the contents directly into the wort or to smack the pack and let sit for at least 3 hours. I am assuming that the yeast is not in the bag inside the pouch but outside the bag? The package also said to incubate at 70-75 if i decide to smack it

All right, fermentation rates have increased quite a bit and foam is starting to develope on top, things are fine, thank you

Back