Liquid co2 in regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewNYC

Reaction score
I’m trying to figure out if it’s worth putting a co2 bracket in my fridge. My 5 lb co2 tank is wedged in behind the kegs, so it’s not going to come flying out and break the valve off. Probably the worst that could happen is the tank tipping over inside the fridge with my regulator attached and flooding the regulator and keg with liquid co2. How bad would that be? I’m guessing the pressure relief valves would let it out, so I’d just lose most of a tank of co2. Worst cast might burst a hose or mess up my regulator. Basically, I might have to buy new stuff, but it wouldn’t actually be dangerous?

Liquid CO2 pumped into a low pressure volume is going to be explosive for sure.
You're right that the keg PRV should pop, or a hose burst, before something (the keg most likely) becomes shrapnel.
I would consider that event dangerous should it happen with the door open - which when you think about it seems the most likely time a cylinder would tip over...

Cheers!

Why not just relocate the CO2 to outside the fridge and install one of the brackets that you can secure the tank with? Removes the chance of it falling over (inside or out) completely.

Back