Linux Users? (What OS do you use?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brauhaus

Reaction score
Running Ubuntu Intrepid (latest release) and absolutely loving it!

I really how customizable this OS is... and free :D

My work laptop is running Windows Vista and honestly I have no issues with it, well I do, but they are very minor. The only thing I really like about Vista is the DVD creator, I've been burning DVDs like crazy :D

Anyway, just curious what OS people are running and if there are any other Linux users?

Right now embarresingly enough Vista. I decided to temporally suspend my Linux use because a few games I wanted to play only worded well on windows. Previously used Ubuntu and didnt have many complaints. Didnt really like the built in firefox. When I go back I will remove the imbedded version and install the latest release. Had some sound problems. For example if I played something outside of firefox like listen to a downloaded podcast if I would go back to firefox often times sound would not play in FF. I dont know if this was because of problems with the imbedded FF or what but it was annoying as ****. But other than that it was a good experience. And I will be going back.

Right now embarresingly enough Vista. I decided to temporally suspend my Linux use because a few games I wanted to play only worded well on windows. Previously used Ubuntu and didnt have many complaints. Didnt really like the built in firefox. When I go back I will remove the imbedded version and install the latest release. Had some sound problems. For example if I played something outside of firefox like listen to a downloaded podcast if I would go back to firefox often times sound would not play in FF. I dont know if this was because of problems with the imbedded FF or what but it was annoying as ****. But other than that it was a good experience. And I will be going back.

I'm playing a few games under WINE, so far no issue, the community forums have a TON of WINE related issues for the popular online games, but for the most part if can be done. When I first installed Ubuntu and mentioned about running a few programs in WINE I had deihard Windows Fanboys tell me that they programs would lag and suck under the "windows-like" environment... I honestly can't verify what they meant, so far everything is working out great.

The Dell laptop that I'm running is super compatible with Ubuntu, once installed everything worked from the get-go so I'm very satisfied... my next project is reviving my old SONY laptop with Kubuntu for the wifey.

Ya most aps will work with WINE but my current computer, which was free, lacks in power. Running a hefty program that my machine would have struggled with in the first place is made much slower through wine. So yeah wine is awesome I mean I ran BeerSmith through it. But my computer sucks so it couldnt handle what I was throwing at it.

I'm a diehard slackware user myself on my personal machines. My work machines all run Windows though, I'm a windows developer so it at least keeps food on the table. :)

This poll needs a multiple selection unless you mean "on the computer you are using to connect to HBT right now".

I have two computers on my desk at work, one linux (CentOS) the other WinXP. My laptop at home is Vista and I occasionally access our file server a Solaris machine. Havn't used a Mac in years but have considered them, if only they wern't so expensive.

Craig

At home, I have ubuntu hardy heron. At work all computer have Windows. I personally have used ubuntu for about 4-5 years, and love it!

My personal computer is a MacBook, and I'm still running Tiger on it.
My 2 Linux boxes at work are running Linux Mint right now, and about half of my 2 dozen servers are running Server2k3, and the rest are still on 2k. My office workstation is XP Pro.

Guess this should have been a poll with multiple choices allowed.:)

windows xp for games, fedora(soon to be replaced by another gentoo), gentoo, and freebsd. Im going to play around with opensolaris but its not high on my list right now.

Like anything else, the OS is a tool for the job. At home, OS X. At work, XP on my laptop, Kubuntu Hardy on my desktop, and Centos4 on my HPC cluster.

OSX Panther laptop
Miss the olden days when you would bring diskettes to your Apple dealer for a free system upgrade..!

Win2000

dual-boot WinXP/Ubuntu Heron

PCLinuxOS

Puppylinux - very old laptop plaything, broken x.org the moment...

I just got a freebie Win2000 original OS CD, woosa!

Not running; Two Mac128's in my bedroom closet. need serious work, but I am hoping to find help. I have the proper OS software for them...

If I could find a driver for my wireless Dlink 642 I would run Ubuntu. I have used Slackware in the past and have it on my desktop/file server.

Windows on 4 computers at home and all the computers at work. Linux on my laptop that I carry with me.

It all pretty much depends on the need of the equip that I am playing with. Normally at work I have my WinXP rig as my primary (We have a 2K3 infrastructure) I have a Xubuntu (Intrepid) box set up next to it mostly to play with. I had a copy of Zone Minder and a web cam recording whenever someone came in the door just for fun. In the back I have a copy of (either Gutsy or Hardy - cant remember) running on a mean ass Dell server that my bosses dont want to put in production. Currently running VMWare on it and I need to tear the initial LinOS install down and redo it. I just dont want to have to move all of those huge ass VMs off (and then back on)
At home, I have too many computers (running XP and Ubuntu) as well as my IPcop box that hasnt been put into production on my home network. 2 USB sticks have Linux on them - 1 = Hirens Boot CD (Invaluable tools) and the other is BackTrack3 (fun to play with)

One thing I have done is also taken the eeebuntu interface and applied it to a couple of base ubuntu installs (per my customers request) Its a nice 'fluffy' GUI but can be a bit buggy especially if its not on a eeePC. (You know - the itty bitty laptop computers)

Ive got too much crap... :)

I use XP at home because my desktop is pretty much only for gaming.

SWMBO's gaming PC is vista, no problems.

My laptop is dual boot vista & kubuntu.

Hers is vista.

Work PC is XP, servers are a bit of everything.

I honestly haven't had a serious qualm with any major OS in years, sure there are some irritating quarks but they've all got their pros and cons.

Main machine:
CentOS 2.6.18-92.1.18.el5 #1 SMP Wed Nov 12 09:30:27 EST 2008 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
Older version of CentOS on my database server, plus w2K and NT machines for testing.

Latest posts

Back