Lingering bitterness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foghead

Reaction score
Been working on perfecting an ipa recipe for the last couple of months. After trying the latest version last night i have one problem remaining. There is a lingering bitterness to the beer, I would like to get it to have a nice clean finish. Here is the recipe for a 12 gallon batch

16# 2 row
7# Pilsen
1# rye
1# wheat
8oz acidulated
2 # corn sugar

2 oz chinook 60 min

1 oz amarillo 10 mins
1 oz citra 10 mins
1 oz simcoe 10 mins

1 oz Amarillo 5 mins
1 oz citra 5 mins
1 oz simcoe 5 mins

1 oz Amarillo flameout
1 oz citra flameout
1 oz simcoe flameout

4 oz galaxy dry hop at 5 days

Mashed at 148 for 60 mins using tap water.

It has a great flavor, very nice aroma but the bitterness lingers on the pallet Any advice on how to get that nice clean finish?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What's your water like? I had the exakt opposite problem a while back, all my beers lacked after taste. After asking for help here, I started working with my water - which is very clean and soft - and got results. So the logical thing to do would be to switch houses with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Possibly drop the acid malt, but I can't make any recommendations without knowing your water.

If you're not first wort hopping, then it must be your water. If you're ph is too low it can give you a harsh bittering that has a lingering sharpness. Using a bit of gypsum helps put an edge on my ipa's without that harshness. But, of course, my water is different than yours.

Drop the acid malt for a one gal batch and see if that helps.

Back