Light,medium or full

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madsciontst

Reaction score
I used beer smith 2 to brew my first ag batch. The only question I have is the mash profile. Do I use light,medium or full body?

Depends on your desired mash temps. Light body is 149 or so and full is in the mid 150s. Use the appropriate mash type to fit the style your brewing. You can adjust each one if you need as well

Depends on the beer style and your personal preference. Personally, I rarely go over 152F and am more often in the 148-150F range. I like my beers to finish on the dry side. Of course, some styles work better with more body - oatmeal stouts, wee heavies, etc.

What are you brewing?

I brewed a pumpkin wheat ale and I went with medium body because of the temp range. So depending on what I'm brewing will decide on which profile.

I brewed a pumpkin wheat ale and I went with medium body because of the temp range. So depending on what I'm brewing will decide on which profile.

Sounds good. Remember though that you are in charge of the mash temp and therefore the profile - you are free to change the temp to get the profile you want. For example, if you find mashing at 154ºF gives you too thick a beer for a given recipe, next time try 152°F. If it is too thin, try 156°F next time.

Latest posts

Back