Light LME vs. "Pilsner" LME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewmanBeing

Reaction score
On the morebeer.com website they have the following 2 kinds of LME:

German Pils Extract - "this light blond extract is 100% made from Durst brand German Pilsner malt."

Ultralight Extract - "by Alexanders this extract is 100% made from Great Western 2-row malt. It is the lightest malt extract available. This is the malt extract that we use as a base for most of our ingredient kits, from Pilsner to Imperial Stout."​

What is the difference between these 2 LMEs? Why would they use the ultralight in a pilsner recipe if the pils LME is supposedly meant for that?

I want to brew a Pilsner and am wondering whether to just use the LME I got from my LHBS or to order some of this special "pils" LME.

Pilsner extract is made from Pilsner malt, while extralight extract I suspect is made from regular 2-row. There's a difference in the character of the two, but if I was going to brew a Pils and had extra light extract on hand I'd probably just go with it. If you really want to be technically correct to style, order the Pilsner extract.

Latest posts

Back