Lid minus airlock hole

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steveruch

Reaction score
How much of a problem, if any, with using a bucket lid that has no hole for an airlock? I don't mean securing it tightly but just setting it loosely on the bucket.

About the same amount of problem as the lid that I use that has a hole drilled and a piece of Saran wrap taped over it. The main purpose of the lid is to keep things from falling into the bucket and contaminating the beer, like bacteria. However, if your fermentation area has lots of bacteria it will find a way in, especially as fermentation slows and there isn't much CO2 escaping. Also, it is probably best to not do an extended period with the lid loose.

After I put a crack in my lid (radiating out from the drilled hole) through some foolishness, I've switched to just putting a lid (with no holes) loosely on top of the bucket, and so far, nothing bad has happened -- been about the last 5 batches now, I think. I try to bottle soon (like a week, max) after final gravity is reached. Much easier (for good and bad) to sneak a quick peek!

Shouldn't be a problem @Steveruch
My bucket with airlock has never seen a bubble go through it, so it leaks somewhere.
I think you can put the lid thight, as long as you loosen it on a regular base to let the built up CO2 escape. If you have a bucket like mine, it might not even be necessary ;)

Someone here suggested the loose-lid method to me, and it worked on the batch I just made.

I pushed one side of the lid into place to make it harder to knock off.

To defray the cost of shipping only a $10 item, get one at Harbor Freight, if you have one nearby. Or a hardware store, but you may be paying premium for a fancy brand, with a good chance it was manufactured in the the same place (e.g., China).

I drilled a 1" hole in some of my bucket lids with a 1" hole saw drill bit, so I can add dry hops and stir them while streaming CO2 in through the regular airlock hole.
A regular 1" stopper plugs the hole. ;)

Latest posts

Back