Lid from Fermenter Bucket Popped Off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZeeSniper

Reaction score
Just for a bit of background...

I've brewed many good/decent batches of beer, but still consider myself a beginner. This has me a bit confused though, because I really didn't do much different and stayed as sanitary as I normally do, and yes I have a blow off tube.

The other morning I discovered the lid of my fermenting stout blew off, and spewed some krausen over the wall and side of the fermenter.

The only thing I did differently with this brew, was that I used an immersion chiller for the first time (made sure to sanitize first). This was actually probably the first brew that I actually got to the proper pitching temp (before was ~10 degrees F higher or so).

My questions are:

1) What could have caused this?
2) If it was semi open for ~2 hours, but still actively fermenting, how likely is it that it got infected?

We had that happen once on a batch of the wife's ale. The blow off clogged during initial fermentation. Too much co2,no placve to go...loud pop! Cleaned the tube & lid,re-sealed. You shoul be fine,what with all the co2 being produced.

Spray everything with cleaner and put it back on, keep an eye on it for the next week or so. You should be fine.

Did you use a different yeast this time or make a bigger starter? Also, The bigger the beer, the more vigorous the fermentation when you pitch the right amount of healthy yeast. Sounds like it just built up a good amount of pressure. I wouldn't worry too much about infection- when its fermenting that vigorously the krausen plus the positive pressure from the CO2 generation will protect the beer. Cover it back up and let it go.

Back