lid doesn't fit bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWN

Reaction score
So last time I brewed I scratched one of my buckets. I ordered a new one without the lid because there was nothing wrong with my old lid. I just brewed a batch of beer and am chilling it right now. I just realized that the old lid doesn't fit on my new bucket. I don't know if I should clean and sanitize my old bucket with the scratch or use the new one with the lid just sitting on there. opinions?

I would thoroughly clean and sanitize the scratched bucket and use it and correct the problem with the other. A loose lid will only cause you problems you don't want.

I am thinking that is what I'll do and just hope nothing happens.

I tend to not seal my lead for the few few days of fermentation, not had a problem yet.

Lots of people brew just fine without a tight fitting lid. Some, like me just put tinfoil over the top of their buckets. The scratch in the bucket seems a lot scarier to me

Put it on top and weigh it down with something wrapp sirran wrap around it and I use electric tape because its stretchy and i get a good seal.If you leave it as is it shouldnt be a problem if you bottle after 3 weeks any longer could cause issuses maybe not. Ive used sirran wrap without a lid before after primary fermentation a few times,worked out fine.

a scratched bucket, in my view, is not a problem. all of my buckets are scratched but i practice good sanitation and pitch appropriate amounts of healthy yeast to good effect. a tight fitting lid is not critical at all, many people use no lid at all because they don't have the strength to pry them off so they use plastic wrap or just lay the lid on top.

Probably too late now, but if you think you might have a contamination, an extra packet of yeast will help crowd out any potential bacteria, and overall speed up fermentation.

I used the scratched bucket. I used wyeast 3711 in a 2L starter so I think the yeast will overcome any infection problems.

BWN said:
I used the scratched bucket. I used wyeast 3711 in a 2L starter so I think the yeast will overcome any infection problems.

If you properly sanitized the bucket there should be no risk of infection,especially with the foaming action of Star San :)

Back