Licorice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know there is a product out that called Brewer's Licorice, a pretty potent stick of licorice and I have see small bags of dried licorice root in homebrew shops before...so sure it would work, but less is more. Guy in my club used way to much in stout and it was a dumper.

I didn't think about star anise, even though I have a bag of it. I wonder how many I would need in a 5-gallon batch of imperial stout.

I didn't think about star anise, even though I have a bag of it. I wonder how many I would need in a 5-gallon batch of imperial stout
I put 5 stars in a beer recently. I did not think it was too much. FYI. Now, it was not subtle.

1706150099456.png

I recently made a 5 gallon (23 liters) batch of Christmas brew with 10 grams of star anise in it. Don't remember how many that was though. It was pretty overwhelming just when fermentation was finished, but a few weeks after it was quite nice and subtle. Speaking of it I believe I have a bottle or two left. I might just need to pop one open and see if it has died out totally by now or there's still a hint of liquorice.

I've used "Italian Licorice" which comes in a stick approx. 1/4 X 3/8 X 3" long. For a 5 gallon batch I'll use about a 5/8" long piece. I've used it in Porters and Stouts.

Definitely had the candy cigarettes. And bubble gum cigars. All we had for licorice was Twizzlers.
Yes, Twizzlers... very sad.

As one of the few people I know who enjoys licorice, I almost always got the black jelly beans.

I miss Black Jack gum, even though the flavor didn't really last very long.

You can make anise extract the same way you do vanilla extract. 2-4 tbl anise seeds in 6 oz vodka, or 14-16 star anise in 6 oz vodka. Put in a swing top jar and shake daily for 30 days. Both have a slightly different flavor so doing both will allow you to tweak the flavor. Star Anise is stronger but has a more earthy flavor almost like cinnamon, anise is a much lighter flavor.

Some blackstrap molasses with star anise adds a more complex liquorice flavour. Otherwise star anise alone reminds me of Chinese curry sauce.

Back