LHBS Grain Crush & Efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good points Above. I pass by 2 of the largest homebrew stores in the country twice a day, so I cant imagine ever buying bulk grain, as I have such easy access to grain and a mill(even w/ crappy efficiency). I guess maybe if you live a long way from a store it could be a good deal to buy bulk, especially if you factor in $4 a gallon gas!

For reference, 2 row at Midwest is 1.15 a lb, a 50lb sack is 42 bucks. So i would save about 15 bucks if I bought bulk, or about 3 bucks a batch. Three more dollars out of my pocket book once a month shouldn't bankrupt me I hope.

jfowler1, that's all well and good for using online vendors for domestic grain... BUT, I paid just under $35 (delivered) for a 55# sack of UK 2 Row (Bairds) via the group grain buy a couple of months back. Store it reasonably well, and it easily lasts a year. Since I have a truck, and the delivery location wasn't all that far from where I live (less than a 30 minute drive), that wasn't an issue either. That SAME grain type, from the LHBS, and online sources (where I've sourced it) costs $80...

I made room in the kitchen closet for the grain. Pretty soon, I'll be putting it into gallon bags (vacuum packed) to ensure freshness for the long term. Plus, it will be easier to grab a couple of 4-5# bags of grain for a batch, instead of the full sack. I figure if I get the bag rolls for the sealer, I'll be able to get 5# into each bag, making it even easier for me. Plus, I'll have the benefits of having them vacuum packed. My brew buddy has offered to let me store my grain in his basement (pretty much 66F year round)... I might take him up on that in a couple of months. Or I'll just store them at home, and take what I need for each brew day...

Personally, I would check your grain buying options before making a largish purchase. Before getting my BC, I would get enough base malt for the next 2-3 batches, so that it would still be fresh when I went to use the last of it. Since getting my BC, though, I have the option of getting a more solid supply on hand. This gives me greater flexibility with what I want to brew. If I'm ordering the grain online (getting specialty grains, not base malt here) then I get a decent amount (usually 4-5# so that I have more for later, plus the rate per pound is usually better when you buy more than one or two pounds).

I do like to purchase items from local sources, when possible and they're not charging me more than I can get it delivered for. But, I'm not about to pay over double what I can get the same item for just by planning a little bit ahead of time. I do hope that we can get the group grain buys to happen about once a year... That way, I can get my base malt at one shot, and not need to worry about supplies arriving in time for a batch...

jfowler1, that's all well and good for using online vendors for domestic grain... BUT, I paid just under $35 (delivered) for a 55# sack of UK 2 Row (Bairds) via the group grain buy a couple of months back. Store it reasonably well, and it easily lasts a year. Since I have a truck, and the delivery location wasn't all that far from where I live (less than a 30 minute drive), that wasn't an issue either. That SAME grain type, from the LHBS, and online sources (where I've sourced it) costs $80...

In the immortal words of Revvy....

"Slams head against wall."

Let me break this down for you.

If your LHBS sells a sack of UK Pale for $80; awesome. They are providing an availibility of goods and a service, so they can sell for a premium. Read my post here if you need to know why the LHBS is justified in charging that price.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/direct-grain-purchase-interesting-correspondance-236070/index4.html

If the guy running the group buy runs off with your $35, and brewday arrives, you will need to go the the LHBS and pay $80 for the sack of grain. You will be paying $1.60 per pound, plus driving time, gas costs, tax, whatever.

Lets look at BMW for UK Pale.

http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/product/0101465/crisp-maris-otter

85.25 for a 55 lb sack. Factor in the 10% discount, ($74.02) add $7 shipping, and it is 81.02 for the sack, delivered to your door. That is $1.47 per pound. But keep in mind, you don't have to be buying 55 lbs of grain at a time to get this price! And I do not care where you live, Fedex will find you everytime. There is no need to buy and hoard grain, so the, "I don't live near a LHBS so I need to get 50 lbs when I can" arguement is toasted. It is a global economy - the pony express is dead. Don't sweat geography. Also, compared to your LHBS, it is cheaper per lb buying from BMW, no matter how much you buy. You don't need to buy a sack to see the return. This is the hang-up with buying bulk on line, most suppliers are happy to sell grains/lb at a bulk price, but the discount is immidiately offset by the cost to ship. BMW recognizes this dilemma, so they just offer a fair price across the board, no matter how much grain you need. Why advertise a price of $35 / sack, if it costs an additional $50 to ship it. And don't tell me it is for will call customers - that would be a drop in the bucket compared to the number of online customers who visit their site.

Now, Golddiggie, you are able to get in on a local bulk buy, and you can get the same UK pale malt you would have had to pay BMW or your LHBS ~1.50/lb for, you buy for $35 / 55 lb sack, or $.63 / lb.

That is a savings of $.84 cents per pound! Awesome. In a 5 gallon batch, requiring around 10 lbs of base malt, you saved $8.40. That is a whopping $.17 / beer in savings.

However, you are picking up your grain in a truck that probably gets around 18 mpg, with a 30 minute drive and gas at $4 / gallon. You are going to sit there and vacuum seal 55 lbs of bulk grain down into 5 lb bags. How long will that take? Do you have a vacuum sealer or is that an inventment that will go hand in hand with your 55 lb sack? Now you are storing it in your buddy's basement. Are we driving back and forth to your brew buddy's house as well? Again, $4/ gallon in gas, and investment of time. And worst of all, you have to deal with the hassel of getting involved in a group buy. No thanks.

My point here is that there is really a lot of (what is referred to in economics) opportunity cost. You have to see beyond the sticker prices to realize all of the other costs you are incurring by buying in bulk.

IMO, gas, time, stress, up front investment, less-fresh ingredients, - still have more cost to me than is justified in saving $.17 on a glass of beer. Next time you go out to eat, choose a place where you can BYO, instead of buying 2 pints of Sam Adams for $6 each at Applebee's. After one dinner you saved more money than you would on a month's worth of homebrewing and dealing with the hassel of buying in bulk.

Just think about that.

Joe

Joe you bring up some valid points, but most of them involve you living in a desolate wasteland. If you are 2.5 hours away from a home brew store, you should be concerned with moving to a first world country. ;)

E: applebees has 2 for 1's all day everyday :)

I think the post you quoted said that he didn't buy at his LHBS, he ordered online and had it shipped. That would probably be your best option if you have the space to store 50+ # of barley.

Nope...I didn't order any full sacks online. I can get a 50lb sack of domestic 2 row from my LHBS for a very good price. I am hoping to get in on a group buy, and save even more.

But, buying in bulk, and having my own mill lets me brew when I want. I'm not pressured to brew just because I bought some crushed grain. It works for me, as others have stated, buying a full sack of grain is not for them....it's all good!

I did recently place an order from BMW for about 30 lbs of specialty grains. They are about the same price as my LHBS grains, but the Wyeast is less than half price, and I needed some other supplies too.

My LHBS is on my way home from work, no loss in gas there. Buying grain has not been a stressful event for me yet, and I don't eat at Applebee's! :D

Joe you bring up some valid points, but most of them involve you living in a desolate wasteland. If you are 2.5 hours away from a home brew store, you should be concerned with moving to a first world country. ;)

+1 there... Although, he IS in NJ... :eek:

I second the freedom, and flexibility, you gain from having a solid amount of base malt, and specialty grains, on hand. Plus, having the grain mill/barley crusher means you can mill your grain the same day that you'll be mashing it...

Besides, doing a reasonable job of storing your grain means it will remain fresh (unmilled) for more than long enough. Just make sure you don't buy more than you'll go through in 6-12 months...

My LHBS sells 2-row at $1.59 a pound or a 55 lb sack for $45 or $.82 a pound. They'll also let me use their mill when I need it. I plan on buying my base grain this way in the future and using their mill when I buy my specialty grains for each brew.

They're also only about 10 min away and on the way home from work.:D

Too bad they're also the one with the low efficiency mill I posted about previously. I'm not really dogging on them, they're great guys and I love the convenient location.

E: applebees has 2 for 1's all day everyday :)

Very good.

There are about 5/6 HBS I know of in NJ (I will protect names). The closest one to my house is about a 45-60 minute drive, mainly due to congestion. Besides, it is nothing to write home about. There is also one very close to my work, but deals mainly with wine. Another is on the way home from work, but basically in a restaurant's attic. Ironically, my house is almost centered between the only other two I know of, neither being convenient. NJ is a crowded place, given its proximity to NY,NY, and Philadelphia, PA. Desolate, no; crowded, yes. So yes, it would be about almost a two hour commitment to pick up a sack of grain. Maybe there are some members in my area that can either second my problem or suggest a better solution.

If I lived above a HBS, I would probably be buying in bulk as well. But I don't. The point of my post was that there is still merit to own a mill even if you don't buy in bulk, and in fact, sometimes going out of your way to buy in bulk (which I used to do, and I am sure I wasn't alone) does not have the merits that one would think. I have heard of people driving to another state to pick up grain on a bulk buy. I just wanted to break down the numbers, and show that the price per glass savings really pales in comparison to the benefits of a fresh and consistent crush. Clearly, when someone asks, "should I buy a mill?", everyone jumps in with "yes, you can buy in bulk and save!" The better answer is, "Yes, you can freshly mill your own grain and eliminate recipe variations and peak and valley efficiency from batch to batch! You can also set the mill gap to be ideal for your brew house, instead of some generic catch-all setting from an online supplier or LHBS. Yeah!"

That's all,

Joe

Back