Let's talk digital scales

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernie Brewer

Grouchy Old Fart
Reaction score
I'm sick of measuring out grains and hops on my little cheapo scales from Target, and am thinking of getting a decent digital scale.
I saw some scales on Ebay that were pretty cheap, so cheap in fact that I wondered if they were any good. What do all of you use, and where did you get them?

I have the Escali one, got it at Amazon. It's worked great so far, no complaints.

Last edited by a moderator:
orfy said:
Mine works just fine.

I hear ya. I just thought about my statement and it was a little EAC. Just thinking about my college days and all the digital scale drama that took place. We had some 40 or 50 dollar ones crap out on us.

Bernie Brewer said:
OK, forgive my ignorance, WTF is a head shop?????

Where you buy glass pipes and other contraband for smoking/selling marijuana. Basically everything to support the hobby except the weed itself. They have a huge array of digital scales.

I'd like to get one of these kind hanging right over my milll personally and keep the little digital bugger for the hops and such.

LTP.jpg

seefresh said:
Where you buy glass pipes and other contraband for smoking/selling marijuana. Basically everything to support the hobby except the weed itself. They have a huge array of digital scales.

Hmmm, never heard'em called that before. We don't have one around here anymore. It burned to the ground about five years ago.:eek:

I bought an Escali from my LHBS. Cost $40 and came with a little glass dish. I know I overspent, but it's from the LHBS. Works great. No need to recalibrate from temp shifts.

Those Escalis look interesting. What's the weight limit on those? I couldn't find it in the Amazon description

EDIT; found it, it's eleven pounds

Bernie Brewer said:
Those Escalis look interesting. What's the weight limit on those? I couldn't find it in the Amazon description
Mine says 11 lbs ....

Edit -- whoops, you beat me to it.

I just grab my hops or grains, and jump on my high tech…naked calibrated…right next to the commode…bathroom scale. Subtract my normal post BM weight from what the scale reads and…bingo.

Anyone got a problem with that? ;)

scale.jpg

My vote for the Escali too. It's accurate as hell, and has the tare feature to subtract container weight. I use it for hops, and to verify that my LHBS is really selling me 3# bags of DME (They are).

BierMuncher said:
I just grab my hops or grains, and jump on my high tech…naked calibrated…right next to the commode…bathroom scale. Subtract my normal post BM weight from what the scale reads and…bingo.

View attachment 2860

Is that before or after a few pints?

In any event, you want one that does grams too. It comes in handy for 1/4 ounce & 1/2 ounce hop additions (7 & 14 grams) as well as getting ready for Pinewood Derbies. :D

+1 for the escali. I had it for weighing flour (baking) but realized it was also great for grains, hops, etc.

And it does oz./lb. oz./ and grams which is what I use mostly because it is way more accurate.

I just picked up one of these to measure my water adjustments (gypsum and such). I also bought one similar to this to measure my grains. I have to put a little piece of styrafoam under a brown paper grocery bag to support the grocery bag and grain, but it works really well. I measured out 24 pounds of Pilsner malt into one grocery bag the other day. Couldn't put any more into the bag. I also use it to measure my hops. Not super accurate (.2 of an oz) but it does the job.

I use the Escali and mine goes from pounds/ounces to grams at the push of a button as well as the handy tare feature.

It does have the 11 pound limit, but I usually either measure right into my BC hopper (15lbs) and use a glass bowel that tops out at 5lbs or bag it in gallon zip bags, so it all works for me perfectly.

:mug:

Bernie Brewer said:
Hmmm, never heard'em called that before. We don't have one around here anymore. It burned to the ground about five years ago.:eek:

WOW, You never heard a head shop called a head shop before? That's... I don't know what it is, but its... Something!!

I have an old postal scale that goes to 5lbs. I also have a small, CHEAP, digital scale that I use for hops.

BierMuncher said:

No Suh! Cool....... LOL!

Bought the same one as jdoiv off ebay for under $20. Works perfect. Also got a digital thermo with a 3 ft cord/digital timer for $10 shipped off ebay. Awesome!!!

I have a digital one from Ebay that goes up to 32 pounds and is supposedly accurate down to .5 oz. even thought it shows. .01oz increments. Now, I like it fine for grain but I'd like to get a lower scale one down to .1 oz for hops. See, on mine, you think you're accurate because you see that adding a couple pellets will go from .48 oz, .49, .50 etc but it could really be off.

I was using a digital one for both my grain and hops but it was a pita for the grain, then I found a baby scale at a yard sale for 5 bucks. Brought home put some dumbells on it to check it out and it's right on, weighed out my 25 lbs this morning on it.......

Back