Lets talk chickens.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All made from reclaimed/scrap timber.
All I had to buy were the hinges and roof panel.

There is a bit to finish off, tidy up and stain.
dsc00004mt3.jpg

dsc00005pr9.jpg

dsc00006vp2.jpg

dsc00007ek8.jpg

Any tips on butchering the chucks.

This seems favourite to me.

http://www.gatewaytovermont.com/thefarm/processing.htm

I just do a subscald and then pluck them. The lower temperature helps keep the skin from getting ruined. Either way does the same thing :D, except if you want the skin you need to pluck. Dispatching them is another story. I prefer a killing cone and a razor sharp knife.

I can describe my process to you, but it will take more of your handyman skills. Just let me know if you need elaboration/pics of my equipment.

I made a chicken catcher that is essentially a broom handle with what looks like a skinny shepherds crook at the end. You reach into the chicken horde and hook a leg. They always pull away from you so they never think to step back to unhook their foot. Nabbed.

I built an electrified knife. When the trigger is pulled the blade charges to 600VAC. This electrocutes the chicken while you cut its throat. No flopping, squawking, or bruising the meat.

I keep a fire going under a cut off 45 gallon drum with water in it. You dunk the chicken in the water to loosen the feathers and then off to the plucker.

The plucker is driven by an electric motor that drives a drum with a bunch of rubber fingers on it. The drum spins and the rubber fingers knock the feathers off. The weight of the motor puts tension on the belt but not so much that it doesn't allow the belt to slip if the chicken gets caught in the drum. I operate it via a on/off foot switch.

The plucker only takes off the bulk of the large feathers. Pin feathers are removed by hand. A plank with several holes drilled through it is suspended between two step ladders. A short length of rope is inserted throught the holes in the plank into blocks of wood. The wood is looped around the leg of the chicken and the chicken is suspended upside down. You can easily sit in a chair and pluck and twirl the bird around and around.

Once the bird is plucked it goes to the ladies who do the gutting (I help if necessary). If you want me to elaborate on that procedure, let me know. I'll see if we have some pics to illustrate.

a big however here...fresh eggs shouldn't be washed, they have a protective layer that will keep them for many days out at room temp (actually unless it is very hot, we keep a dozen on the counter all the time).

We sailors often keep fresh eggs for weeks at room temps without spoilage by covering the eggs with Vaseline.

Give them a handful of raw unhulled Oats every day. You'll get the deepest orange yolks you can imagine ;)

My neighbor has 11 hens. He came by and picked up my spent grains and gave me fresh eggs. What a deal. The deer are pissed about it though.

He bags the spent grain in 4 plastic bags and puts it in the fridge so it won't spoil. His birds go fricking crazy over the spend grain. It's heaven in a bag for them.

He picks up my 10 gallon cooler MLT full of grain and brings it back to me clean with a dozen fresh eggs.

I like the deal. :D

The frencies lay chocolate coloured eggs!
I picked up a bag of mixed grains for them to start with. They are going on growers pellets unless I can figure out the content and get the raw ingredients.

I think they'll end up on 50% bought good and 50 free stuff, greens, left overs, spent grains etc.

I have 2 French maran and one Rhode Island red.

Not sure about the hops, but I don't think they'll be interested though. That's just my guess. Spent grain, since you only have a few I'd give them a few scoops every day. Even when it sours they seem to love it. Just use it up before it gets moldy. I don't give my chickens moldy or food that has gone bad (like bad where you smell it and know it's bad).

Also I don't feed them anything from the Allium family at all or any strong flavored stuff on a regular basis as this can be imparted to the eggs, the flavors that is. Meat scraps are fine, but I don't give them from their own kind not even any egg scrap although shells are perfectly acceptable. You'll know if they are low on calcium by how quick they react to the shells. I have Oyster shell as well and if the shells get thin they get fed the shells. I really should set it up for free access.

I've always fed my chickens the compost from table scraps, ends of vegies, weeds from the garden,etc. I built my coop with a wire floor and would turn the waste underneath like a compost pile, worked great for fertilizer.

The worst damages to the flock came from hawks and owls. I think our dogs kept the 'coons and opossums at bay.

I absolutely loved the eggs! Like eating a steak, a beautiful white and orange steak.
I never killed and ate one, wish I had.

SWMBO finally found out that her headaches were being caused by an allergy to eggs so the chickens are long gone. I don't care how good the eggs were, a wife with a perpetual headache gets what she wants!:D

Need your chickens to stay in place while you clean the coupe? Video selected for english accent friendly viewers.

You don't have to do the circle 20 times either. 7 or 8 will do. Course you have a fenced yard so it's not like they would run away.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to watch my grandma grab chickens out of the coop, grab them by the head and wring their necks so they couldn't run around(waste of energy), then chop the head off.

She would literally grab the chickens by the head and spin them around, like some sort of party favor.

Those were the days.

I used to watch my grandma grab chickens out of the coop, grab them by the head and wring their necks so they couldn't run around(waste of energy), then chop the head off.

She would literally grab the chickens by the head and spin them around, like some sort of party favor.

Those were the days.

I remember my dad doing that. He would grab their head and spin the whole bird in a couple of tight circles under his armpit. Then chop. No stress on the bird, no taint in the meat.

i have chickens , i like them alot i have about 35 or so.
No mosts ducks do not lay like chickens ,mine really only layd in the spring but some breed will lay year around ever other day or so.

if you are wanting eggs these are the birds to have
http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/black_australorps.html
these are the egg layingest chikens i have ever seen
i have 6 Black Australorps that lay more than all my other hens combind
and thay are also Very Calm and will come right up to you and eat out of your hand. i have that will hop in your lap to be petted.

that page on slaughtering is ok , but its really not hard to leave the skin on (witch is better becase to can do what ever with the skin on like fryed and baked)
but all you have to do to take the feathers off is get you a big pot ( dont know where you can get one of thoes :) and fill it whole chiken deep, then bring your water to a full rolling boil, then kill your bird (h0wever you like to do it the fastest to me is grab the chikens head and the pop your hand like you are cracking a whip, but dont hafe ass it you got act like is a big wipe and you are really gona crack it :eek:)

post mortem hold it by the feet and keep the body under water for about 30 -45 sec afterward the feather will just wipe off it may take 2 dunks after ward you gut and cut as normal

Orfy
As a side note. i free range all my birds (chikens turkeys guineys ducks geese and 2 peacocks)
i have a big sheep dog she keeps them all safe
great-pyrenees.jpg

And if you feed you birds lot of table scraps and Garden and yardwaste
the egg yokes will be a bright orange the more plant matter thay get the brighter the yokes will be this is total normal , it just means thay have a balenced diet and dont just eat corn all day

all total i have a bout 60 birds and i only buy feed in the winter the rest of the year they free range it (but i have 20 acres)
btw chikens love fat any time you trim some steaks or chops or clean a deer or pig your ckiens will eat that **** up , in fact that will eat everything
including your pritty backyard plants , i had a sarrno pepper plant in a pot on my portch and my chickens ate every pepper on the whole huge bush becase 1 pecked at it so the rest had to get on it.

Orfy
As a side note. i free range all my birds (chikens turkeys guineys ducks geese and 2 peacocks)
i have a big sheep dog she keeps them all safe
great-pyrenees.jpg

Now you have my attention. :D

So do you have your range fenced or does the dog keep them localized? Will the dog keep them away from roads and neighbors areas? In other words has she been trained to stay off neighboring land? I have plenty of land for free ranging but the problem is keeping them in the boundaries.

I keep my free range birds in a fenced area. I used to let them wander around the yard but a neighbor's dog came and killed a bunch. That, and the turkeys were stopping traffic. Those things are like a youth gang when they get older. Wandering around being all tough and intimidating... cigarettes hanging out of the corner of their mouths....

well she romes a bit but the bird really dont go all that far from where the coop is and where i throw out food , i would say thay dont really go more than 700 1000 feet form there coop, the dog keeps them safe from varmets and the roosters keep them close to the barn

They are free ranging, getting bigger and bolder, eating from my hand, take themselves to bed. Want to come in the house!

Hehe, I have a small chick that was hatched out under a Muscovy but because I screwed up the timing by putting her under a week early (well the egg anyway) she hatched before the ducklings so I had to take care of her. She follows me around and will sit on my shoulder :D.

Ahh, you shall never return. :D

Oh, btw. I just recently found out (neighbor called the Uni and asked the poultry dept.), if you use a red lamp (not necessarily infrared, just red) during what normally is the dormant laying phase it will cause the laying cycle to kick back in, but will not affect the sleep cycle. I put a red lamp on a dusk-to-dawn photocell timer and since then they have started laying again. Dad called me last night with similar results.

Well Orfey, I've joined you in the egg laying business. SWMBO has been wanting fresh eggs since we had chickens on the Eastern Shore of Maryland.

We had an old garden that was fenced off from the deer, rabbits and other critters and we converted it to a chicken run. We also converted an old Lowe's playhouse we found on Craigslist to be a coop.

Chicken_coop_1.JPG

Chicken_coop.JPG

I added the door to the run and it is clear Plexiglas and pulled up each day to let them out.
Chicken_coop_backside.JPG

The chicken run is 20' x 16', which is completely enclosed, including the top.

Chicken_run.JPG

Back