Let's Remember Some Beers (In Memoriam: "Sours")

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was this the Le Roar Grrz period?
You had the OG Bullfrog sours that we're turbowhales when I got in the game around '09:
Black Cherry Bomb
Blue Cheer
Frambozen
Beekeeper
Strawberry Fields

The second wave a few years later:
The Jaspers
El Diablo Deluxe

And then the Grrz stuff years after that

All if it was pretty good with a couple being great. Never got that damn Blue Cheer.

Wonder how these are holding up.
Sierra-Nevada-Russian-River-Brux.jpg

Scrolling through my Untappd from 2013 and wanted to note the following that I don't think have been mentioned yet:

Lost Abbey Cuvee de Tomme and Framboise de Amorosa (do they still make these?)
Almanac Farmers Reserve 1-4 (these were really good)
Churchill's Finest Sour (meh)
Beat Batch 5 (this tasted like lemon vinaigrette from the start)
Deschutes Green Monster (speaking of salad dressings)
Sour in the Rye (Peach and Kumquat variants)
Bottleworks XII
AC Golden Hidden Barrel Series (mostly very good)
Boulevard Love Child Series

Also is Little Linda's Liquid the Captain Lawrence beer you guys are trying to think of? It's in my tick list from 2013.

Brouwers pulls out kegs of this every year at their anniversary party, always fun to see what it's doing now.
That’s fantastic. Was not aware. So out of the beer game for the past few years. Have you had recently? Any updates?

I'll still swear to this day batch 1 My Blueberry Nightmare was actually good. Fortunately I found out what an abomination batch 2 was before I bought a case like some other fans of b1 I know.

More funky and phenolic/smoky than sour, but I'll also defend and still drink the hell out of this other bizarre one from Del Ducato:
beer_232876

I've posted this in just about every appropriate thread but I am up for people sending me any pre-2016 Uplands that they no longer want.

Boulevard Saison Brett which is still produced but barely loved.

The best part about this beer now is that older batches sit a while and when a 3 year old bottle is discounted to $8? **** yeah.

Love Child

Haven't bought this in the last 3-4 years, but B2 is still one of the most complex beers I've ever had. You got brett and tart and cherry and bourbon.

AC Golden Hidden Barrel Series (mostly very good)

They brought a couple of these to FOBAB in the early 2010s and I was always surprised how good they were.

355265_0_1_1.jpg

one of the first sours i ever had on a trip to cape cod back in...2011? really loved this beer and it kickstarted my love for sours

I never liked the fruited ones but the base beer has always been on my list of underrated AWAs. I drank my last bottle from the 2012/2013 era recently and was very happy with it, even for someone who- like I guess a lot of you- has mostly moved away from the style. Hot Take: The Woods was always better than Beatification.

Back