Lessons learned - First brew on the new system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoCal-Doug

Reaction score
After many years of brewing on different systems, I took the leap of faith and built up an electric rig. Yesterday was the inaugural brew day. Started with an old favorite simple wheat beer. At the end of the day, I reviewed my numbers and results in beersmith and was very pleased. I of course do have a list of lessons learned which I'll share...

* Beer in the garage fridge disappears fast when 3 guys are brewing together.
* A 2 pole 30A breaker that trips at 24 amps is annoying, but is very easily replaced (I learned this during wet tests and tuning).
* Lifting 5 gallon jugs of RO water with a bad shoulder, sucks ass.
* 85% efficiency is no problem to achieve.
* Orville Redenbacher really does make the best popcorn.
* I'm going to need more kegs soon.
* Hours of reading, taking notes, comparing opinions and options, and diving into the numbers, is golden.
* Moving fermenters with a bad shoulder sucks. Those things are getting some wheels.
* Plan things to do during brewing (mow the lawn, wash the dog, take a nap, etc). Staring at the control panel gets really boring.
* When people say to set a BK alarm for about 200F and reduce to 80%, they mean it. I was seconds away from an ugly boil over due to not paying attention.
* Go see a doctor about that shoulder

One thing I'll need to look into is my main power contactor. Twice when I powered up, it was buzzing. Turning in off, then on again made it stop. possibly a loose wire or a cheap offshore contactor. Should be easy to figure out. Any other thoughts on this?

All in all a great day. Everything worked as expected. I see many more brews on the horizon for the new rig. We discussed doing split and multiple batches (a couple brewing friends have kegs and carboys but no rig), as well as BBQ'ing, snacks and having everyone bring some different brews for tasting.

Buy one of these and an auto shut off from buckeye hydro plus an old ball valve you probably have in the brewery. Run your RO a few days before and fill the garbage can. Pump it in on brew day and save that bad wing!

https://m.uline.com/h5/r/www.uline....m1V1Caqc1Xo9i4wantBoCLK8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Here's the funny part. One of my engineering clients has a line of RO vending machines for fitness centers that I designed for them (drinkupwater.com). I have parts all over the shop that just need to be assembled and I could have a full commercial RO filtration system. I was just too lazy to build one up and was impatient to get brewing :)

That sounds like a good brew day... Your lesson to learn was next time to invite me to drink your beer, eat your BBQ, and help carry heavy stuff lol.

You shoulder works? Come on up! The more the merrier. Mission Viejo isn't that far. I have a client at the 5 and Oso, I visit every couple weeks.

Back