lessons learned after 10 batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red04

Reaction score
I went straight to all grain and kegging. Here’s what I’ve learned.

1. Get a refractometer and some extra long pipettes for sampling. I’m not sure why anyone would use a hydrometer.

2. Use a blowoff tube. Buy 100’ of 3/8” hose. Use 3’ each time and throw it away.

3. I can only get low 60% efficiency with LHBS crush. Have some DME or corn sugar on hand at first.

4. Calibrate/mark gallons of all equipment.

5. Suckback is real when cold crashing. I blow up a 1 gallon ziploc with co2 and electrical tape to end of disposable blowoff tube.

6. No drinking until boil.

7. Get a brewers log book

8. Buy a 6+ gallon carboy or fermenter for NEIPAs. Hops and trub take up a gallon.

9. Immersion chiller doesn’t work well during summer when tap water is 90 degrees. Even with a pre chiller. I have to solve this next.

Nice list. I brewed my 3rd batch over the weekend, and every time I've gotten a lot more comfortable and learned a few things and pinpointed a couple ways to do it better. I used campden tablets for the first time this round, and also did the late extract addition. Feel like I also aerated better before pitching.

My takeaway lesson for this time though is make sure I put all my ice/ice packs in the bathtub before putting the kettle in. I went to add some ice after the kettle was in there and made a little splash, and watched a few droplets bounce up into my wort in slow motion. The wort was still somewhat hot at that point(150~) so hopefully nothing bad happens but lesson learned. Put everything in before the kettle or be more careful. At some point I'll probably just get a wort chiller though

100s batches:
1. Yes refactometers are awesome. But you still need a hydrometer for getting your FG
2. Blow off tube every time (But I use a size that fits in my carboy and I clean it everytime)
3. Adjust your recipe to account for the 60% efficiency. I never use DME. Use more grain
4. Know what your equipment holds. Don't trust the marks on the bucket/pot
5. Suck back is real. Interesting idea with the bag.
6. I drink while brewing. Just try to be mature and don't get carried away.
7. Brewers log = Brewsmith software. You won't regret it
8. All my fermenters are 6 gallons. Helps with answer #2 as well.
9. Luckily my well water is around 49 degrees.

Good stuff! Brew on!!

Latest posts

Back