Lesson(s) learned from Stuck Sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baron

Reaction score
I have to admit -- I don't always do AG brewing. As a matter of fact, probably more extract (w/Specialty Grain) brewing. But -- trying to frequent more AG brew sessions.

Brewed an AG American Amber Ale this weekend (recipe from "Brewing Classic Styles" Jamil Z.). Everything was going great until it was time to empty mash and start sparging. Yes -- from the title, you guessed it, stuck sparge.

I could not get it started and ended up removing grain -- and reintroducing grain and liquid back into MLT. Finally - -got it flowing. Not sure how this batch is going to turn out based on what happened. I'll re-post on this thread in a few weeks and let everyone know.

(2) Things I learned from this:
1. Ensure a secure connection between the false bottom fitting and the ball valve (I'm using a 10 gallon Round Igloo Cooler). I was a little over zealous with the mash paddle and knocked off the tubing between those fittings. Next time -- I am going to secure each end with a stainless steel hose clamp.
2. Always use Rice Hulls!! Forgot to include this in my grain bill and I paid for it in frustration.

Rick

I hate to say that I have had that happen more than once. Typically if the tube has not been disconnected pushing liquid back through the tube can open up the flow again.

It really does suck when the tube comes loose from a false bottom.

Your beer should be fine btw.

If your budget allows it, I'd recommend buying your own mill. Once you get the right crush stuck sparges should be a thing of the past. I only use rice hulls for wheat beers now. Your batch should be fine if you still hit all of your numbers, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I hate to say that I have had that happen more than once. Typically if the tube has not been disconnected pushing liquid back through the tube can open up the flow again.

It really does suck when the tube comes loose from a false bottom.

Your beer should be fine btw.

That's exactly what I was trying at first (blow out stuck sparge through tube) until I realized it disconnected.
One thing I did notice -- the OG was calculated at coming out to 1.044 and and actually came out to 1.060. So -- it's a little higher ABV than anticipated.

If your budget allows it, I'd recommend buying your own mill. Once you get the right crush stuck sparges should be a thing of the past. I only use rice hulls for wheat beers now. Your batch should be fine if you still hit all of your numbers, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I do have a grain mill (just recently purchased) -- and as a matter of fact this was the first batch I used it on.

Mine is set to 0.039" -- do you have a recommended setting?
Thanks.

I do have a grain mill (just recently purchased) -- and as a matter of fact this was the first batch I used it on.

Mine is set to 0.039" -- do you have a recommended setting?
Thanks.

I've been using the default gap of my Monster Mill so far, 0.045". I've been getting decent efficiency and sparging/lautering have been a breeze. I'm planning on tightening the gap to 0.038 - 0.040" for my next batch. I don't have a recommended setting yet as I'm still experimenting with it. Malt conditioning before crushing has helped me a lot too if you haven't tried it yet.

I've been using the default gap of my Monster Mill so far, 0.045". I've been getting decent efficiency and sparging/lautering have been a breeze. I'm planning on tightening the gap to 0.038 - 0.040" for my next batch. I don't have a recommended setting yet as I'm still experimenting with it. Malt conditioning before crushing has helped me a lot too if you haven't tried it yet.

I'll give the Malt Conditioning a try too -- Thanks! Might widen the spacing on my grain mill a couple .002 also.

Don't try this at home...
Among the variety of ways my sparge was stuck yesterday was in the recirculation port. Couldn't get it cleared and got the bright idea to use my air compressor to blow it out. Step 1 was to make sure the lid was on the tun to make sure I did't blow grain and wort all over the kitchen. I'm not a complete idiot. Decided to video my effort to show how clever I am. Wait, about that thing about not being an idiot...

View attachment trim.1E6BC790-717A-4DF3-8914-E6527B2D060E.MOV

Don't try this at home...
Among the variety of ways my sparge was stuck yesterday was in the recirculation port. Couldn't get it cleared and got the bright idea to use my air compressor to blow it out. Step 1 was to make sure the lid was on the tun to make sure I did't blow grain and wort all over the kitchen. I'm not a complete idiot. Decided to video my effort to show how clever I am. Wait, about that thing about not being an idiot...

Glad I was not drinking coffee watching that.

Back