Less Yeast in Bottle - How?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jiffster

Reaction score
Trying some of my first brew and I notice I'm having some minor "stomach" issues shortly after sampling.

I'm careful to cant the bottle ski don't get the yeast in the bottom but some seems unavoidable.

Is there any way to get less yeast in the bottle?

Does kegging improve this?

Any advice would be appreciated!

It may just take time for your body to get used to the yeast. I know that my first few beers into my first batch I had some issues but it settled down once I got used to it. You can try cold crashing and gelatin to clear the beer before bottling this will help by dropping some of the yeast out of suspension, thinning what goes into the bottle. Plus you will get a much clearer beer.

I'll be cold crashing and gelatin my next batch. Looking forward to seeing the results.

You can get good clear beer by just giving it some more time. A whirlfoc tablet will help. If you can cold crash that will help more. Then after all of that give the brew some time in the fridge and everything should just compact in the bottom of the bottle. Pour carefully and you should be good.

You are always going to have some yeast sediment in the bottle with bottle conditioned beers. Just learn how to manage it and you are good.

I usually don't bottle a beer until the hydrometer sample is clear. More time in the primary will mean less yeast in the bottled beer. My primary time is usually three weeks.

Careful siphoning to the bottling bucket will draw up less yeast. Moving the fermentor the day of bottling will also resuspend some yeast.

Let your bottles rest in the back of the fridge for a couple days so the yeast settles down. Don't drink from the bottle if you bottle-carb. Always pour your beer along a straight-walled pint glass (also chilled.)

Let your bottles rest in the back of the fridge for a couple days so the yeast settles down. Don't drink from the bottle if you bottle-carb. Always pour your beer along a straight-walled pint glass (also chilled.)

Different styles benefit from different style glass ware. I hardly ever use a straight walled pint glass, I prefer my snifters. And you don't want to frost your glass either.

Rack carefully to a second (sanitized) vessel. Cold crash in second vessel. Carefully bottle/rack to keg from that cold crashed vessel, making sure to not shake up the yeast cake at the bottom.

I mean, really, just racking carefully after a cold crash is enough, but if you wanted to get it EXTRA clean... :)

Yes, kegging does improve this. All the yeast falls to the bottom and it's virtually "yeast free".

I'd second just getting used to it. That yeast is actually really good for you! I mean, people actually BUY that stuff (without the beer!) as a supplement. Crazy, if you ask me. I get all the B-complex vitamins I need from homebrew. 🍻

*Homebrewtalk.com contains articles on many medical topics; however, no warranty is made that any of the articles are accurate. There is absolutely no assurance that any statement contained or cited in an article touching on medical matters is true, correct, precise, or up-to-date. The overwhelming majority of such articles are written, in part or in whole, by nonprofessionals. Even if a statement made about medicine is accurate, it may not apply to you or your symptoms.

The medical information provided on Homebrewtalk.com is, at best, of a general nature and cannot substitute for the advice of a medical professional (for instance, a qualified doctor/physician, nurse, pharmacist/chemist, and so on). Homebrewtalk.com is not a doctor.

None of the individual contributors, system operators, developers, sponsors of Homebrewtalk.com nor anyone else connected to Homebrewtalk.com can take any responsibility for the results or consequences of any attempt to use or adopt any of the information presented on this web site.
😁

Last edited:
You're just plucking hairs for personal preference here, my friend. No need to complicate things.

Huh? Quite the opposite in fact. At any rate, choice of glassware and to chill or not chill said glassware has no relevance to the OPs question.

I'd second just getting used to it. That yeast is actually really good for you! I mean, people actually BUY that stuff (without the beer!) as a supplement. Crazy, if you ask me. I get all the B-complex vitamins I need from homebrew. [emoji482]

I believe even fined and cold-crashed beer will have yeast in suspension, but obviously less. The claim is that the B-vitamins will help reduce the effects of alcohol, as alcohol saps out those very vitamins in your system. I kind of doubt it makes a large difference, and it's unlikely you are even breaking even in the vitamin department, but it's a nice sentiment.

But yeah, use some clearing techniques and keep drinking and brewing, you will be fine eventually.

Back