Less priming sugar in a keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jldc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have heard that it takes less sugar to carbonate beer in a keg than in bottles. How can that be? Please explain the reasoning behind this. The priming calculator that I use asks for volumes of CO2, volume and temp of the beer, but not how you are going to store it (ie, kegs, 12 oz bottles, 20 oz bottles).

I've never kegged my homebrew, but how I understand it is that you force carbonate from a CO2 tank when it's kegged instead of using priming sugar. I'm not sure if some people use priming sugar in kegs as well.

I'm not too sure about the reasoning, but I know about 1.3 oz of priming sugar (give or take) per 5 gallon keg does the trick for me.

The owner of my LHBS advocates priming kegs to save on CO2. He says to use 1/3 as much priming sugar as you would for bottles because of the beer to head space ratio. That is to say, the 1-1.5 inches of head space in a bottle of beer above the 12oz is more by comparison than the few inches above the 5 gallons of beer in a corny keg. Just add enough CO2 to seal the keg and wait the 3 weeks you would with a bottle

I tried this, but after 3 weeks at room temp, the carbonation wasn't to my expectations, so I had to force carb a little bit more of the way. To each his own, YMMV.

He says to use 1/3 as much priming sugar as you would for bottles because of the beer to head space ratio.

That makes sense, I guess. Maybe I should try half as much sugar. I can always force carb a bit more if I need to.

I am new to kegging and I've only force carbed, but I think I'm likely to end up with a new keg or two before I'm ready to retire the old ones. I would think that the first pint or two would have a lot of yeast sediment, right?

Back