Lemon peel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hellfire

Reaction score
I have a recipe that calls for 1oz of dried lemon peel- added during last 7min of the boil. My question is- Do I just put the dried peel into the boil where it will wind up in the fermentor, OR do I put the dried peel into a sock so it can be removed before going in the fermentor? The recipe makes no distinction.

Thank you for your help!

It probably just means the rind, the outside yellow part of the peal, and not the white part. The white part is extremly bitter.

What I would do is steep the lemon rind in a hop bag then dump it all (water and peel) in the fermenter. But Others will tell you to just dump the rind in the boil with/without the hop bag, and they wouldnt be wrong.

You could pull a cup or two of the boiling wort and steep the peel for 15 minutes. Then add it back to the pot at flameout. That's what I did yesterday with the ginger beer I brewed.

Thank you both very much for the info!

What is the preferred method with dried rind? Bag or no bag?

It's one of those things in brewing that the only preffered method is the one YOU like. There is no right or wrong way to do it, no better or worse. About 99% of this hobby is like that.....what works for you. We talk about developing your process. It's really a personal matter.

I dump everything in my kettle, and prior to getting a wort chiller and opting to autosiphon the cooled wort into my fermenters, I then used to just dump everything in the bucket or carboy. And honestly even though I don't do that anymore there's no discernable difference in my beers. Since I long primary, everything settles out before I bottle.

I find the simplest methods work best for me, so hops, spices and peels just get tossed in the boil. I stopped messing with hopsacks and the like after batch 3 or 4, many years ago.

It's one of those things in brewing that the only preffered method is the one YOU like. There is no right or wrong way to do it, no better or worse. About 99% of this hobby is like that.....what works for you. We talk about developing your process. It's really a personal matter.

I dump everything in my kettle, and prior to getting a wort chiller and opting to autosiphon the cooled wort into my fermenters, I then used to just dump everything in the bucket or carboy. And honestly even though I don't do that anymore there's no discernable difference in my beers. Since I long primary, everything settles out before I bottle.

I find the simplest methods work best for me, so hops, spices and peels just get tossed in the boil. I stopped messing with hopsacks and the like after batch 3 or 4, many years ago.

Thank you very much. I understand your point of do what works for the individual, I need to relax a bit..:) but I AM drinking my own homebrew at the moment so everything should work out!:mug:

Thank you very much. I understand your point of do what works for the individual, I need to relax a bit..:) but I AM drinking my own homebrew at the moment so everything should work out!:mug:

There's an old saying in this hobby, "ask 10 homebrewer's a question, and get 12 answers, all of which will be correct." There really is no right way for anything...There's some definite wrongs, like don't skimp on sanitization, don't whip fermented beer unless you like liquid cardboard....things that are really bad....but in terms of achieving the goal of making beer, it all comes down to our individual process.

If you want to see a good example of developing your own process, re-read the bottling instructions in Papazian and/or Palmer, then read about my process in my bottling thread and you'll see how I developed what worked for me and allows me to bottle pain free in about 45 minutes, and also how other folks have adapted their own process as well. You can even see how mines has adapted to work at my girlfriend's house, on post 6.

When would you say the best time to add the citrus peel is? I was thinking the last 5 min. Would be good. Is that to late?

Back