Lemon Juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rinhaak

Reaction score
I will be brewing a Gose soon, and I was thinking about throwing in some lemon juice to taste at bottling. My question is how to ensure that there isn't any contamination using fresh lemon juice. How do you sanitize lemon juice? Do I need to boil it? Does that alter the juice any, by boiling off too much water?

Packaged lemon juice is almost all Pasteurized. Doesn't taste the same as the stuff out of a lemon though.

If you aren't boiling a lot of something, use the microwave, you can actually push temps above 212F and I think boil off is less because you get to temp faster.
As for what you are doing? I'd say you want to sanatize it somehow. The juice is ok, because if it werent, the lemon (and fruit) would rot from the inside. What gets you is the skin, and the knife that goes through the skin carrying stuff with it.

As to altering? well if you can stand to buy an extra lemon, cut it in half, and put have through heat and half not and compare volume, and taste.

The risk of contamination from lemon juice is very small due to the acidity. Just sanitize the skin, knife, and collection vessel as well as your hands

The risk of contamination from lemon juice is very small due to the acidity. Just sanitize the skin, knife, and collection vessel as well as your hands

That will work to, and not to sound to crazy, but wash then sanatize the skin... I had mold in a beer from improper sanitation of blood oranges.

Give it a good scrub and sanitize the skin, just like everything else. I even throw my yeast packages in my sanitizer before opening them. Can never be to careful.

Back