Lemon ginger witbier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

interrobang

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm relatively new to homebrew (this is my 9th or so beer), and haven't brewed a wheat beer yet. Just looking for a bit of feedback, especially re: the hop schedule and the ginger/lemon/coriander/honey. I was thinking of using orange blossom honey.

I realize it doesn't fit exactly within the parameters of the style, but I'm less concerned about that and more concerned about whether this will taste good.

Much appreciated.

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Witbier
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 5.5 gallons
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.056
Final Gravity: 1.014
ABV (standard): 5.62%
IBU (tinseth): 22.81
SRM (morey): 4.35

FERMENTABLES:
5.5 lb - German - Wheat Malt (50%)
2 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (18.2%)
1 lb - German - Munich Light (9.1%)
1 lb - Rice Hulls (9.1%)
1 lb - Rolled Oats (9.1%)
0.5 lb - Honey (4.5%)

HOPS:
0.25 oz - Sorachi Ace for 60 min, Type: Leaf/Whole, Use: Boil (AA 11.1, IBU: 9.49)
0.25 oz - Tettnanger for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 4.5, IBU: 4.23)
0.25 oz - Tettnanger for 30 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 4.5, IBU: 3.25)
0.5 oz - Sorachi Ace for 5 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 11.1, IBU: 4.16)
0.5 oz - Tettnanger for 5 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 4.5, IBU: 1.69)

MASH STEPS:
1) Infusion, Temp: 148 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 15 qt
2) Sparge, Temp: 170 F, Amount: 10 qt

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
0.5 oz - Candied ginger, Time: 5 min, Type: Spice, Use: Boil
0.1 oz - Indian Coriander, Time: 5 min, Type: Spice, Use: Boil
0.25 oz - Lemon zest, Time: 5 min, Type: Flavor, Use: Boil

YEAST:
White Labs - Belgian Wit Ale Yeast WLP400
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 76%
Flocculation: Low-Med
Optimum Temp: 67 - 74 F
Fermentation Temp: 68 F

I don't think you'll get much honey flavor after fermentation is done. You can try using honey to prime with, instead of another sugar.
I brewed a ginger themed batch and used 3 oz fresh, shredded in the the boil, and another 3 oz in the secondary. Depends on how much ginger flavor you want.

Thanks. I'd like the ginger to be forward in the beer, but not overwhelming. Just a hint of that ginger burn. How did yours turn out?

Ginger dominated mine, but that's what I wanted, because I f'ing love it- think store bought ginger beer level of flavor (but no heat). Maybe try half of what I did for a more subtle flavor.

I just bottled a beer that's pretty similar to your idea. I made a blonde ale with a bunch of thai flavorings. I used lemongrass, kafir lime leaf, lime zest, coriander and ginger. It's only been in the bottles for a few days, so I can't tell you how it'll be carbed up, but the gravity samples tasted quite delicious. I also used 2 oz of Sorachi Ace and 1 oz of Amarillo. I put all the herbs in a nylon bag and tossed it in with 10 min left in the boil and left it in while cooling.

I used about 4 oz of fresh ginger minced up and I thought it was a perfect amount, just a hint of spice and the citrus flavors still came thru nicely. I'm sure it'll taste much better when it's carbonated though. Let us know how this comes out, sounds like a nice summer drink.

I did a ginger winter ale last Christmas. I put 3 oz of fresh chopped ginger into the boil with 15 minutes to go. The ginger flavor in the final product was noticeable but not overpowering. My one suggestion is to be careful with how much ginger you add. A little goes a long way (particularly fresh ginger).

Also, and this is purely anecdotal, but I think the ginger had an impact on head formation and retention. I've used the base winter ale recipe before and had pretty solid head formation and retention, but the head was definitely lacking in the "ginger" version. Either the ginger had something to do with it, or I screwed something else up (always a possibility).

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. I'll let you know how I tweak it and how it turns out.

I was just thinking of making a beer like this. I think it looks pretty good. I notice you are using a recipe that looks a lot like Randy Mosher's "cheater's" version from Radical Brewing. Did you consider doing the other one, with the non-malted wheat? I've wondered what the difference would be, but I haven't tried it myself. Don't you worry that you're lowering your standards and will produce an inferior product?

I make a delicious Ginger Wit that I really love! My advice - go with fresh ginger. I puree mine in my Blendtec blender with 24 ounces or so of water, then add the whole pulpy mess to my boil 5 minutes before knockout. Delicious ginger flavor. And to get the lemon flavor, I just dose my kegs when kegging at a rate of a couple of ounces of lemon juice per 5 gallons. Easier to get the tartness & lemon flavor, though if you don't want the tartness then the zest is probably a better route.

Also, if you can, wait for WLP410 to be released (June?). It's a better wit yeast and more consistent IMHO!

I was wondering about yeast too--what do you think of Wyeast's wit yeast, i.e. 3944? Is it the same as any of the White Labs ones?

Just came in second in a regional comp with my ginger wit. Used 3944, .25oz indian coriander, and .5oz fresh ginger at flameout. Ramp that 3944 up to 72-74 to draw out the esters and produce a light tart edge. I don't typically use citrus in mine but I did toss some lemon zest in the keg once and liked the results. My next attempt I'm going to sour mash a portion.

I would pull the Munich and lower the hop additions if you are going for a wit base.

I was just thinking of making a beer like this. I think it looks pretty good. I notice you are using a recipe that looks a lot like Randy Mosher's "cheater's" version from Radical Brewing. Did you consider doing the other one, with the non-malted wheat? I've wondered what the difference would be, but I haven't tried it myself. Don't you worry that you're lowering your standards and will produce an inferior product?

I do worry about that, but fortunately my brewing partner's palate won't be able to tell the difference. :rockin:

Just came in second in a regional comp with my ginger wit. Used 3944, .25oz indian coriander, and .5oz fresh ginger at flameout. Ramp that 3944 up to 72-74 to draw out the esters and produce a light tart edge. I don't typically use citrus in mine but I did toss some lemon zest in the keg once and liked the results. My next attempt I'm going to sour mash a portion.

I would pull the Munich and lower the hop additions if you are going for a wit base.

Sounds great. How much zest did you use?

I used the zest of one lemon, but I would definitely go more. Granted, I added it when it was at keg temps, but I could only really taste it when I got to the last gallon of the batch. I just did it on a whim... Soaked in some vodka, added to a tea ball, and dropped it in. I would go 2-3 lemons.

Back