Lemon drop for amber ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aprichman

Reaction score
Has anyone used these hops? Brulosophy said they were reminiscent of Cascade. Thought they might be good in an amber ale.

Any thoughts?

I have only begun using them this summer and I've only used them in a cream ale (three 10 gallon batches). They definitely give a lemony characteristic. If you didn't know it was from the hops you would swear there was lemon in it.

Never used them but had a beer sometime ago with that as the main hop. The cascade comparison is legit, as it's one of the varieties it was bred from. If you like cascade (I don't) and think that a lemony version of that sounds good, then go for it.

Honestly I am not a huge fan of cascade hops or lemons so maybe I should choose a different hop.

Any recommendations? Right now I have a lot of Azacca and Liberty hops on hand but I could buy something else from the LHBS.

Hmmm, hard to say...amarillo gives kind of a orange citrus thing, as opposed to lemon or grapefruit of the aforementioned hops...could maybe work with the azacca? Probably feature the azacca and use amarillo as a compliment if going that route. Never used liberty before, but sounds subdued and would recommend against if you're going for a hoppy version of the style.

Back