Lemon blueberry melomel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCollector

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I've made plenty of beer and such but this will be my first mead/melomel. I've tried to find info on this site, youtube, and the internet with lots of mixed ingredients listed. I just need some formulation help. 1 gallon batch. 3 pounds honey, 1 pound frozen blueberries 2 lemons. D-47 yeast. What else do I need and when? I have potassium metabisulfate (spelling), wine tannin and sparkloid (spelling) on hand. Thank you for any assistance!

So I'm totally a newbie with mead as well but I'd hold off on adding the lemon I think. I'd be more inclined to wait until you are going to bottle and then add lemon to taste. I'd just be worried that 2 lemons is going to be too much for a 1 gallon batch and you'd hate for it to be ruined because of that.

It's not just the flavor that is an issue. Yeast fermenting honey can bring the pH down very low, so low, in fact, that the fermentation stalls, so deliberately adding acidity to the primary should be done with much fore thought and a plan for rescuing what may become a problem fermentation. What is the TA that you are aiming for given that you have determined that even with blueberries you need the addition of citric acid? You might find that blueberries contain enough acidity to hit that mark without any need for the lemon juice (or is it lemon peel you are adding? That's a different story)

Well I just simply thought that blueberry and lemon work so well together I wanted to shoot for that flavor combo in the final mead. I made skeeter pee (lemon wine)once and it turned out fantastic. Come to think of it I'm pretty sure I used D-47 yeast for that too. Not sure what TA stands for honestly. I've been off the forum for a while now. As far as the lemon goes I was thinking the zest in primary in a mesh bag with the blueberries then maybe adding fresh squeezed juice after primary is done. I forgot to say I will be adding yeast nutrient and maybe a little energizer.

Back