Lemon and lactobacillus?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gravityspiral

Reaction score
I'm going to be doing a 1-gallon Berliner Weisse soon using Wyeast's Berliner Weisse blend - so no sour mashing, just straight blend that I will allow it to ferment for a few months (at least 6)

My question is, if I were to add one lemon (sliced up) would this interfere with lacto's souring? Should I wait until closer to the end of the process (a few weeks to a month before I'm ready to bottle) to add the lemon instead?

I'm jumping in, just because I'm curious how the interaction between citric acid and lacto play.

While I'm here though, have you tried using hops as a lemon flavor? Such as French Strisselpalt. Or maybe, since Berliner Weisses are traditionally served with a syrup, making a lemon simple syrup? Just throwing out other ideas.

Lemon + Berliner Weisse does sound like a good pairing though.

I'm going to be doing a 1-gallon Berliner Weisse soon using Wyeast's Berliner Weisse blend - so no sour mashing, just straight blend that I will allow it to ferment for a few months (at least 6)

My question is, if I were to add one lemon (sliced up) would this interfere with lacto's souring? Should I wait until closer to the end of the process (a few weeks to a month before I'm ready to bottle) to add the lemon instead?

You shouldn't need to ferment a 1 gallon batch of Berliner Weisse for 6 months. These low ABV and slightly sour beers usually have a much faster turnaround.

The citric acid won't affect Lacto, but it may be better to let the bacteria do their thing, then add your lemon juice, just from a flavor standpoint.

Citric acid can induce Lacto to produce acetoin (involved with diacetyl in development of the butter flavor) when used in high concentrations. You won't get anywhere close to that with 1 lemon.

Latest posts

Back