Legal Limits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need to get busy and drink some beer, so I can comply with that law. Seeing how it is just my two daughters and me, I am pretty sure that I have more than 200 bottles of HomeBrew in the house.

When the cops come to get me, ill just share with them one of my homebrews, and convert them

I would put money down that it is gallons not bottles. If it is bottles have one bottle in the house and keg the rest. :) Shoot for punishment even the anti beer state of UT they did not keep track. How would they? Just don't brag about your quantities and you are golden. IMHO

If you read the entire link , it says 50g per household ,produced per year . Not stored, but " produced ". OUCH. Lol

As a non-lawyer type, I seem to remember reading somewhere that beer you made but didn't "pass QC" (i.e., infected, etc.) and that you had to pour away doesn't count towards that limit.

I can't imagine how they would ever prove how much you produced in a year unless you openly disclosed that you exceeded the threshold (such as keeping a log). Even if you had several hundreds of gallons of beer in your house, it would be difficult to prove how much of that was produced in a particular year versus beer from prior years that you are aging.

Disclaimer: I am not encouraging you to brew beyond the legal limit.

If you read the entire link , it says 50g per household ,produced per year . Not stored, but " produced ". OUCH. Lol
This is the case in Georgia. 50 gallons per year and only the head of the household may produce it. The definition of head of household is pretty thin though...Just have to not be able to be claimed on someone elses taxes.

As a non-lawyer type, I seem to remember reading somewhere that beer you made but didn't "pass QC" (i.e., infected, etc.) and that you had to pour away doesn't count towards that limit.
Georgia law makes no such exception for home brewing.

I don't think anyone could enforce it if they really wanted to. Think about this...I've got beers bulk aging or bottle conditioning, some for 1 or more years (like my barleywine which will have aged for 5 years before drinking.) I also long primary, so there's already going to be overlap from one year to the next. So if the "danged rev'noors" kicked down my door how would they prove that x beer were brewed in this calendar year?

Sweet resource. Looks like in Minnesota "Homebrewing Equipment" is portable and capabilities of 10 gallons or less.....

Ha. I live in GA and I have 20 gallons sitting in my house. I guess I can only brew 30 more gallons according to the politikians under the gold dome. We'll see about that....

I'd imagine the amount of resources needed to produce evidence that you brew more than the legal limit would out weigh the cost

Now, having said that, I do realize that some people are ****ing stupid. Do not show your beautiful 2 bbl to that nosy, goodie two shoes neighbor and you should be fine.

Just don't annoy the wrong people
"If you give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest of men, I will find something in them which will hang him."
These sorts of laws are only enforced if you make yourself a target, possibly by doing something else illegal.

I don't think anyone could enforce it if they really wanted to. Think about this...I've got beers bulk aging or bottle conditioning, some for 1 or more years (like my barleywine which will have aged for 5 years before drinking.) I also long primary, so there's already going to be overlap from one year to the next. So if the "danged rev'noors" kicked down my door how would they prove that x beer were brewed in this calendar year?

If push came to shove, I suspect they're not going to make a very nuanced, subtle calculation on your behalf. One way or another, you're going to have to do the proving.

In the absence of a legal definition, I suspect you could perhaps make a strong argument (i.e., one that a non-brewer would believe) that "produced" means "bottled." You could also probably argue that "produced" means "fermented to produce a measurable alcohol content," i.e., brewed and pitched. If you're getting into more detail than that, you better have some exquisite records and evidence that you have a well-defined "finished" criterion.

Of course, I agree with the earlier assessments that this is not a frequently enforced law, so I wouldn't sweat it. I doubt we'll ever know what the definition would be.

Sc law was changed to allow high gravity beers in and to let new brewers brew. Coast, thomas creek, rj rockers, holy city, westbrook would have been shut down on first day of business.

I just wouldn't go around announcing how much you produce, just as closure. You'll be fine.

I just wouldn't go around announcing how much you produce, just as closure. You'll be fine.

That's why I Never participate in those "How many gallons of hombrew this year" threads that people always start. Whether I brew the legal limit or not, I sure as hell don't advertise it.

bigbrother_copy.jpg

(It should say TTB now) ;)

flipfloptan said:
Sc law was changed to allow high gravity beers in and to let new brewers brew. Coast, thomas creek, rj rockers, holy city, westbrook would have been shut down on first day of business.

Oh I know the law changed for commercial breweries, I'm pretty sure it still is at 5% for homebrew, at least that site claims so

I just checked the statute, and that is still the law in Georgia. Subsection (b) does say that you get your own limit if you are not a dependent on another persons Georgia tax return. So a husband and wife would be allowed to brew 100 gallons of beer.

I also did a brief check of the statute and it does not appear that there is any provision for a criminal penalty. The law does provide for a forfeiture of the beer if you are caught with any beyond your legal right to brew it. :eek:

I just checked the statute, and that is still the law in Georgia. Subsection (b) does say that you get your own limit if you are not a dependent on another persons Georgia tax return. So a husband and wife would be allowed to brew 100 gallons of beer.

I also did a brief check of the statute and it does not appear that there is any provision for a criminal penalty. The law does provide for a forfeiture of the beer if you are caught with any beyond your legal right to brew it.
:eek:

Ahhh....so the simple solution: if you go over your limit, time for a keg-killing party :mug:

Back