Leftovers and lots of hops!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwilly006

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a bunch of left over grains that I want to use and I also just got a pound of Amarillo and a pound of Columbus pellet hops. I already ordered the malt extract so here is the base of my recipe:

5LBS LME
3LBS DME

Here is a list of my leftover ingredients:

5OZ Simcoe
21.5OZ Amarillo
28OZ Columbus
1LB Crystal 15L
8OZ CaraVienne
12OZ Honey Malt
5OZ Crystal 40L
5OZ Carapils Malt
10OZ Chocolate Malt

I already came up with this but I was wondering what you guys think would be the best recipe for these ingredients??

http://hopville.com/recipe/1351960/american-ipa-recipes/camarillo-ipa

Thanks guys!!

I like the combo of columbus and amarillo a lot, but I'd scale back the IBUs a little since your est OG is only 1.068 - might be a little overhopped as it stands now. Maybe to 70-80ish depending on what you're going for. Aside from that, someone else may need to chime in on the honey malt and crystal amounts, since I don't know how much crystal the DME and LME might already have in them. Throw some of that leftover simcoe in for flavor or aroma too!

Yea I am already thinking about adjusting the grain bill. I kind of just threw it together while I was at work.

if you're going to do 100+ IBU, you might as well save the crystal and honey for something else. it's not like you're going to be able to taste their contributions much, with that much bitterness. maybe if you maxed out the honey @ 12 oz you might get something noticeable. most IPAs have pretty simple grain bills since there isn't much that is going to shine through that much hops.

i wouldn't bitter with amarillo. you'll boil away all its subtlety. save it for the flavor/aroma additions of another batch. use something cheaper like columbus instead (or pretty much anything else, really).

if you're going to do 100+ IBU, you might as well save the crystal and honey for something else. it's not like you're going to be able to taste their contributions much, with that much bitterness. maybe if you maxed out the honey @ 12 oz you might get something noticeable. most IPAs have pretty simple grain bills since there isn't much that is going to shine through that much hops.

i wouldn't bitter with amarillo. you'll boil away all its subtlety. save it for the flavor/aroma additions of another batch. use something cheaper like columbus instead (or pretty much anything else, really).

This shows how little I know at this point in my brewing but I love the learning process. What would you make with these ingredients? Chime in everyone else please!!

Back