Leftover Ingedients Brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHBWNY

Reaction score
Here's another "inspired-by-what-I-have-kicking-around-for-ingredients-except-the-kitchen-sink" brew thread.

I will be picking up 2-row (10#), but here's what I have on hand:

10#Crystal 60
3# Maris Otter
1# pale wheat
1# white wheat
1# Special B
1# Eng. choc.
1# Belg. Candi sugar

S-05
S-04
T-58

Cascade - 2 oz.
Chinook - 2 oz.
Citra - 0.5 oz.
Golding - 0.5 oz.
Tettnang - 1 oz.
U.K. Phoenix - 1 oz.
Fuggle - 1 oz.
Northern Brewer - 1 oz.
Perle - 1 oz.

I'm thinking an Imperial Scotch Wheat Amber Pale Dubbel. Whadayathink?

My two cents....everything but the English Chocolate with Perle at 60 and Tettnang at 30..fermented with s-04 on the warm side. I'd hit that.

10lb 2 row
3lb Maris Otter
1lb c60
1lb English Chocolate

Northern Brewer bittering
Cascade/Fuggle flavor/aroma

Ferment with S-04

Should get you in the ballpark of a decent, if not slightly high gravity Robust Porter

and I just really looked at the grain you have, I wouldn't use all 10 lbs of the Crystal, maybe 2. That's what I get for posting when I'm tired and excited about the next day's brew (mashing right now and smelling fantastic!).

and I just really looked at the grain you have, I wouldn't use all 10 lbs of the Crystal, maybe 2. That's what I get for posting when I'm tired and excited about the next day's brew (mashing right now and smelling fantastic!).

Yeah, I wasn't planning to use the full 10 lbs. of crystal, which is why I included picking up 10# of 2-row. I only listed the amount of crystal as an indication of what I have on hand. 2 lbs. would be more than enough for most styles, and even at that, might be too much, esp. 60L. Recommendations for use of crystal fall in the range of 7-8% of the total grist to upwards of 20%+, which would have to be an exceptionally sweet beer, of which I'm not a big fan. But malty, yes.

Totally understand trying to function normally when one has brewing on the mind, or in your case, in the tun. Envious.

Totally understand trying to function normally when one has brewing on the mind, or in your case, in the tun. Envious.[/QUOTE]

Just flamed out on it. My garage smells like gingerbread right now, incredible. This was also a kinda "kitchen sink" brew based on what my boss had excess of and could spare, with the two row I already had. And I raided my spice cabinet as well. Used almost half of a bottle of pumpkin pie spice and some ground cloves, as well as a pound of brown sugar. I am seriously stoked for this one. May turn out too spicy but what the hey, it's a Christmas beer and needs to be unique.

Back