Left Oxyclean solution in carboy for a week and it crystalized at the bottom!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D_Ranged_Eskimo

Reaction score
As the post states, I forgot about my carboy and didn't realize I had it filled with Oxyclean solution from bottling last week and when I emptied it out, it was left with a bottom full of crystalized Oxyclean. I poured hot water from the sink into it multiple times hoping this would help to dissolve some, but it doesn't seem to be working. Anyone ever have this issue, and am I screwed here?

We call it scale, it's really common, it's just residue from the oxyclean as the water it's soaking in evaporates or reacting with minerals in the water. Usually a weak acid solution like vinegar and water, lemon juice and water, even a dillution of starsan and water usually breaks it down. Then lots of rinsing.

Going to work on this tonight and get rid of the Oxyclean. It's too bad I didn't post this last night, had to put my WPA brewed last night into the Ale Pale instead of using the carboy!

I use a drop in dish washer pack when this happens. Fill with hot water from tap, drop in one washer pack and let sit over night then drain and rinse. Has always worked for me and I've left the OC in carboys for months at a time.

+1 to the vinegar solution. Takes away the scale with a quikness!

This worked like a charm! Today the carboy is OC free on the bottom, so it got filled completely with water/vinegar solution to take all of it off the entire carboy. Tonight, it will get a quick OC rinse, and then put away for future use.

Back