Left fermcap-s out of fridge for 18 hours.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hukdizzle

Reaction score
Got in a hurry after a 12 hour brew day yesterday and left my fermcap-s out of the refridgerator for about 18 hours until I remembered 5 minutes ago. I have attempted to lookup the active ingredient for this product and haven't found much information on it other than the all labels say "Keep Refridgerated". Does anyone have any insight into this product and what kind of adverse effects it may have on it's effectiveness? Would this products chemical makeup change/become unstable if left unrefrigerated too long which may cause off flavors or issues with the body/head of the beer?

Thanks,

-huK

I do not recall mine saying to keep it refrigerated and I have used it for 5 batches or so. No issues so far. Perhaps I will go put it in the fridge now

Mine did. Apparently it can go rancid if left too long at room temperature. 18 hours at room temp probably won't cause it to go bad. Give it the smell test. I think it will be obvious if it has gone south. I've done the same with no problems.

I've been using the same bottle for months and it's never been in the fridge. No problems here.

Mine was bought from the fridge at the LHBS, but I forgot a few months ago and it's been out ever since. Hmm.

It's just silicone based anti-foam. I'm a pasteurizer and we use the same thing for orange juice before processing it. Keep a five gallon bucket at room temp. Never once had it go bad. By the way it only takes about 2 to 3 ounces to defoam 2000 gallons of juice. Kind of amazing to see that stuff work.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Mine stays in my supply box in the garage and Ive been using it for months (starters only) and I havnt had an issue with it. Mine doesnt say to keep refrigerated, and Great Fermentations keeps it on the shelf...

I just came across this looking for answers to the same question. mine was very milky after leaving it out of the fridge for a few months.. I decided to try it anyway in the boil to just keep from boil over. maybe I'll skip it in fermentation just to see..

Back