LED Light Strips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TBC

Well-Known Boozer!
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with LED light strips?

I have 2 teenagers and they want LED light strips wrapped around their rooms. I was thinking I’d get them for Xmas.

They showed me a website omgleds.com and doing Some research Rxment RGB LED strip lights on Amazon seem to be good and priced reasonably but their not Bluetooth. Does that really matter when you have a remote?

Trying to find some real advice versus fake reviews on Amazon. Although some reviews recommended against other styles due to the power supply box melting. I don’t want to deal with that crap either.

I’m hoping to do this right the first time and that they last until they are out of the house!!! Not sure how many years 36000-50000 hours are but hopefully enough.

Does anyone have any experience with LED light strips?

Almost every day for the last couple of years.

If you know which end of a soldering iron to hold, it gets way easier, as the strips can be cut and reconnected in about 3" intervals.

I'll assume wall or ceiling wash, either way doubdo stick tape is usually sufficient to keep it up. LED tape on spools is better than anything rigid simply because it's lighter and easier to reconfigure.

Personally, I'd avoid bluetooth, as the control application is probably going to be total garbage. We're talking about groovy mood lighting, so an IR remote is going to be sufficient. I'll cop to not having much contact with most of the control, as I interact with this stuff via a lighting console controlling a driver.

How big are the rooms? You may be able to get away with something USB powered from somewhere like Fry's. A 10' length would probably wash a whole ceiling and be powered off an old cell phone charger.

Almost every day for the last couple of years.

If you know which end of a soldering iron to hold, it gets way easier, as the strips can be cut and reconnected in about 3" intervals.

I'll assume wall or ceiling wash, either way doubdo stick tape is usually sufficient to keep it up. LED tape on spools is better than anything rigid simply because it's lighter and easier to reconfigure.

Personally, I'd avoid bluetooth, as the control application is probably going to be total garbage. We're talking about groovy mood lighting, so an IR remote is going to be sufficient. I'll cop to not having much contact with most of the control, as I interact with this stuff via a lighting console controlling a driver.

How big are the rooms? You may be able to get away with something USB powered from somewhere like Fry's. A 10' length would probably wash a whole ceiling and be powered off an old cell phone charger.

Thanks right now I was looking at the led spools. The rooms are around 40’ if they plan on mounting them around the top of the walls which I’m assuming they want. It looks like I can run 32.8’ off of one power supply without a voltage drop. The spools I’m looking at have 3M mounting tape already attached to them so hopefully that will be strong enough.

I’ll stay away from the Bluetooth ones and they can just use the remote.

Back