Leave last hydrometer sample on counter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

physics911

Reaction score
Does anyone else leave their last hydrometer sample on the counter to act as an analog for what's going on in the fermenter? I usually take a sample after I have pitched the yeast and leave it on the counter with the hydrometer in.

I don't do it to make decisions from what I see going on, but just think it is cool to have a micro climate of the fermenter on the counter to watch. I know you can do the same thing watching a glass carboy, but I ferment in buckets, and it being on the kitchen counter I see it more often. It has been quite informative to watch the process with my last several batches.

I leave it on there because I forgot about it. Usually it ferments. Then, gets infected, then gets smelly. Then I get yelled at.

I'm not sure it is always a great representation of what is happening in the bucket.

I don't use samplers...just drop er in the ol ferment bucket after 14-21 days (after a dousing of star san o course), get the reading, drop in my dry hop sack and pop the lid back on! And no, 3 yrs later I have yet to get an infection from doing it.
Back on subject, I guess it would be kinda cool to watch the hydrometer slowly fall with time not that it would correlate with anything going on in the bucket...

I get rid of mine ASAP. Otherwise it ends up getting on me, the floor, and sometimes a broken hydrometer . . .

I dump my pre ferment sample everytime, theres too much crap floating around in the air to let it sit out too long and once ive taken my gravity reading I have no further use for it.

Post fermentation sample gets drank everytime as well

BEFORE a refractometer :) I have left them there and they have fermented with the wild yeast in the air and to be honest a couple have been very tasty.

Cheers
Jay

BEFORE a refractometer :) I have left them there and they have fermented with the wild yeast in the air and to be honest a couple have been very tasty.

Cheers
Jay

An interesting thing would be do do this, and if you get one that tastes decent, throw it into a starter and use that for a test batch of homegrown sour.

Back