Least Time Consuming Chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kungpaodog

Reaction score
I've been thinking about upgrading from my immersion chiller to a plate or counter flow chiller to be faster. I'm less concerned about the time it takes to chill my wort, and more concerned about the total time it consumes on brew day. It only takes a few minutes to drain and wash the immersion chiller, but it sounds like some of you spend over 30 minutes cleaning plate chillers. So what style chiller uses the least time, total with cleaning, on brew day?

I've used both plate and copper-tubing-inside-a-garden-hose chillers, and without a doubt, the copper CFC is the way to go. Cleaning a plate chiller is a very tedious process. Flush and then backflush and then flush and then backflush and you STILL get bits of hops and junk coming out. I don't think I ever really got my plate chiller perfectly clean.

Dealing with a clogged plate chiller makes you want to throw things (like a plate chiller) across your yard. My copper pipe CFC has never clogged on me and I don't usually filter my wort on the hot side.

This is my routine for my CFC:

About 5 minutes before flameout:
1) Drag out the CFC
2) Hook up the water hose to the female garden hose QD on the chiller
3) Hook up a waste water hose to the male garden hose QD on the chiller (I use different QDs to ensure that I'll never accidentally hook the wrong hose up to the wrong end)
4) Turn on the valve on the water inlet to verify everything is good to go and then shut the water off again
5) Throw the tubing for draining from chiller to carboys into a bucket of Star San

At flameout:
1) Hook up tubing from BK to the pump inlet
2) Hook up the tubing from the pump outlet to the chiller wort inlet
3) Hook up tubing from chiller wort outlet to carboy, but put the other end in your vorlauf pitcher instead of the carboy
4) Open up the BK valve and make sure that the pump is flooded with wort and turn on the pump
5) Watch the other end of the tubing for old water that was sitting in the chiller from the last brewday to start flowing out
6) Once all of the old water is out and hot wort is flowing, put the end of the tubing into the top of your BK and recirculate the boiling hot wort through your chiller for a minute or two to sterilize the chiller insides
7) Turn the cold water on to start chilling the wort
8) Use a Star San spray bottle to spritz the outside of the carboy hose and your hand one more time
8) Start pumping wort into the carboy(s).

Cleaning the chiller:
1) Run water through it for a minute
2) Try to drain as much water out of it as you can. You'll never get all of it. It somehow magically produces more water whenever you move it around. They should sell them to desert communities as a never-ending source of water.
3) Put it away

Obviously, some people would lose sleep thinking about all of the horrible things that are growing inside their CFCs, but a) copper is a naturally anti-bacterial material and b) sterilizing the insides before each use really goes a long way towards nice bacteria-free wort and c) if you're the type of person that would worry about such a thing, then maybe this whole CFC thing is just not for you.

Cleaning the chiller:
1) Run water through it for a minute
2) Try to drain as much water out of it as you can. You'll never get all of it. It somehow magically produces more water whenever you move it around. They should sell them to desert communities as a never-ending source of water.
3) Put it away

This is also how I clean my plate chiller.
I keep my hops in a boil bag, so no clogging, and no cleaning headaches.

I think a properly sized IC with a whirlpool will be the least time consuming, at least for home brew scale. CFCs and Plate chillers take a long time to clean properly, and IC just needs to be scrubbed a little, which for me is done when I clean my kettle.

This is also how I clean my plate chiller.
I keep my hops in a boil bag, so no clogging, and no cleaning headaches.

I do the same using a hop blocker. I have never seen any gunk come out of the chiller, even after back flushing.
I am still amazed my Shirron plate chiller/chugger pump can cool 5 gallons of boiling wort to 65F in less than 10 minutes.
I used to use an ic and it took an hour or more, but I later learned that moving the chiller up and down Is supposed to cut chilling time significantly.
Each method has it's pros and cons, but for me, a plate chiller works the fastest.

Back