Learning to write recipes with a SMASH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northern_Brewer

British - apparently some US company stole my name
Reaction score
There was a thread on another forum asking for a recipe for a SMASH (single-malt-and-single-hop) beer, and my reply turned into a more general introduction to how to construct a recipe, thinking about how much grain you need for a certain alcohol content and that kind of thing. It assumes you know the basics of how to brew, I guess it's aimed at someone who's maybe brewed a few kits and is wanting to get into doing their own recipes. Let me know what you think - I'll see any replies here so you don't need to register there

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/smash.95659/page-2#post-1065674

Some thoughts:
I've never heard of Deflatine before, I don't think it's used in the US.
Another possible UK/US difference - you have "camden" written, I've only seen "campden".
The water profile seems geared towards British styles, rather than advice for all styles.

Overall a nice thorough writeup! You should copy it over here so that this forum has access/can easily discuss it as well.

I'm on well water, and not doing any real adjustments to it after running it through a filter. I had Ward Labs run tests on samples sent through two different filters this week (sent late last week). One was a carbon filter, the other a spun filter (just filtering sediment). I'll be using the carbon filter since that's more in line with what I like (comes up as 'malty' in BeerSmith). I am adjusting the mash PH now, but that's really it. Unless I want to make a batch more malty (might do that with my bigger beers on deck).

Since I have zero chlorine in my water, I don't need to worry about that. It's also why I hope my next home (renting currently, hoping to buy next year) will also be on a well. The water, directly from the tap, tastes good. I'd brew with it directly except for how hard it is.

Latest posts

Back