Learning to like dark beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thundercougarfalconbird

Reaction score
I've found that beer is one of the many things one must generally acclimate themselves to enjoy(generally at a young age). I truly enjoy pale ale and lagers. As well as wheat beers. I can enjoy amber hued elixirs. But when it comes to dark I never seem to enjoy it. Is there an incredibly drinkable dark that is a good way to induct novice drinkers to that end of the spectrum or is it simply, me expecting drinkablility instead of simply analyzing the intense complexities of dark beer?

Listen to Airborne. About a year ago I was still a bmc drinker.I started homebrewing and wanted to explore new styles. One night I was at the store and I picked up a bottle of rouge mocha porter and loved it. I'm not saying you'll do the same but as Airborne said the color doesn't mean that much. Also if you close your eyes you won't be obsessed with how dark it is allowing you to really taste the beer. Good luck.

Well I understand the color has little correlation to the flavor. But in my experience (Michelob Bock,Yingling Black and tan, Bass, Guiness drought) there seems to be a very similar theme in flavors, they're just so aggressive, it sends a shiver down my spine. And the after-taste is similar to what I feel motor oil would taste like. Perhaps its just not my thing(or perhaps I'm just drinking the wrong brands for my example =P)

Abita brewery turbo dog is really good and somewhat dark. Deschutes brewery black butte porter is one of my all time favorite dark beers. I find porters in general to be very drinkable and have now worked my way up to enjoying stouts

Well, I mean of course I do. But I'm a bit of an adventurous eater(raw sea urchin to elk jerky). I find that keeping such an incredibly open mind to consumption often leads to surprisingly good experiences. So, being as curious as I am. It bothers me that I can't seem to find a dark beer to enjoy. I remember being younger and not liking beers that I love now, so I feel its all a process of acclimation, one must simply have a somewhat familiar start in order to more easily and pleasantly transition into the unknown. So I suppose in a way I'm polling for more familiar territory so if I ever decide to brew dark, I'll be able to palate my creation.

Abita brewery turbo dog is really good and somewhat dark.

Just what I was thinking. The majority of the color comes from using a coloring agent like Sinamar. Another was Dixie Blackened Voodoo Lager.

Stay away from stouts and porters if you don't like them, but don't let your aversion to those stop you from trying the darker German styles (shwarzbier, doppelbocks)

Good suggestions above, also you might check out Ayingers Celebrator (doppelbock) and Sam Adams black lager (shwarzbier)

Try the following and then report back:

Sam Adams Black lager

Kostritzer

New Belgium 1554

Shiner Black

Sam Adams cream stout

I happen to be in the same boat as you. I'm not a fan of porters and stouts (though that's beginning to change). I just brewed BierMuncher's Black Pearl Porter and let me tell you, it very well could change your mind. He used a lower hop profile and added more sweetness, richness, and mouthfeel to his porter. It's delectable. Try it here. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f126/black-pearl-porter-ag-24243/

I tried numerous dark beers (porters and stouts) and I would rather lick the buttocks of a dead groundhog than drink another......I will stay w/ the ambers or ales.

I was where you were at a while ago until i started sampeling every beer known to mankind.At least what i can find in the midwest.I went toward the cream or oatmeal stouts. and Porters i have trouble finding good ones. Bells is a very good porter,didnt like Sierra Nevada's.I would just sample them,there are a lot of them i dont like but are some good ones dont be turned off by just a few.Bottle conditioned available beers tend to be superior compared to filtered/ pasterized in my opinion.Darkhorse Brewery in Michigan is has some very good stouts.Try pairing them with food with a good glass.Your palat can vary as much as the beer daily.

Do you like coffee? There are a lot of stouts out there that have had coffee added to them, if that is a flavor you like maybe that would help.

I didn't notice if anybody has mentioned dunkleweizens, they are a dark wheat beer that I really enjoy.

If you are caught up on the color thing try a black IPA, that will change your idea about how color relates to flavor.

Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald is one that I have suggested to many friends who are not dark beer lovers. It is so frickin' smooth and dark without being overwhelmingly roasty... just about everyone I've suggested it to has liked it.

New Belgium 1554, wonderful Black Ale that made me realize the amazing world of dark beers. Also, Guinness is amazingly smooth once you get past how thick it is.

I'd also have to echo what Airborneguy said. If you're lumping Guinness and Michelob Amber Bock (not necessarily a bad beer) into the same category, while invoking the often used "motor oil" reference, perhaps you are approaching "dark" beers with a preconception. I'd also recommend a good Scwarzbier such as Krusovice, but I'm not sure there's a less aggressive dark beer than Michelob Amber Bock. Becks Dark...?

Try Moose Drool or Bells Brown Ale. They are darker, but lighter bodied and drinkable. But yeah, start with amber/brown ales and move your way up to porters. Guiness is a bad example of a good stout, but even though I enjoy stouts, they are much harder to drink than a porter, as they are almost chewy.

If you're lumping Guinness and Michelob Amber Bock (not necessarily a bad beer) into the same category, while invoking the often used "motor oil" reference, perhaps you are approaching "dark" beers with a preconception.
This is a fantastic observation.

Maybe you should do a blind taste test of several beer styles. Buy some of the mild examples in this thread. Also get a few bottles of Harp, Bass, and/or Boston Lager to throw into the mix. Avoid anything at the extreme ends of the spectrum (no BMC, no stout/porter, nothing with the words "Imperial" or "Double"). Have a friend pour you some samples while you taste them blindfolded. Give a brief review of each as you sample it and have your friend take notes. You might be surprised at the results.

^this

i was going to suggest that if you like the taste of tootsie rolls then try youngs double choc stout if you can't find the above.

Aw come on Youngs isn't that bad. ;)

I'll definitely have to took into the less aggressive stuff listed. I bartend often and was really proud of my first black and tan, but the taste was not like I had dreamed. Suppose I need to drop my preconceptions of what delicious is, learn every beer isn't necessarily chug-able, and simply shop around(with a little guidance from the community =P)

I'll definitely have to took into the less aggressive stuff listed. I bartend often and was really proud of my first black and tan, but the taste was not like I had dreamed. Suppose I need to drop my preconceptions of what delicious is, learn every beer isn't necessarily chug-able, and simply shop around(with a little guidance from the community =P)

Have you tried any of the Samuel Smiths lineup? They seem to make some pretty classic styles of beer that would fit well in the less aggresive category(Taddy Porter, Nut Brown Ale, Oatmeal Stout). They also seem to be pretty easy to acquire and well priced. I know a lot of people that were introduced to the craft beer scene through these beers especially the Taddy Porter and Nut Brown Ale. I agree with some of the other posters as well Edmond Fitzgerald is a fantastic beer.

+1 on the Dunkel as well. i drank one a few years ago and have not looked back. i did get six Guinness Daught for making an Irish Stout Stew. used one in the stew and drank the others. i found that i woul dhave them extremely cold at first. pardon the pun but it chilled the heavy dark beer flavor. eventually learned to love them. best of luck on the beer revolution.

I'd recommend trying a Belgian style dark beer.. You might not like it but definitely a different taste profile than the ones you've mentioned. I have a couple friends that shy away from the dark beers who have found that style to their liking.

To me it's about the taste. Do it taste like the style suggests?

The first dark beer I had was Guinness and I have loved it then as I do now.
It was the first of many new beers to me of various colours.

I used to HATE dark beers. Guinness Stout, yuck. Spaten Optimator tasted like it had been filtered through my dirty socks.

I will get booed for this, but I bought a couple of sampler 12 packs of Michelob ales that included a porter. I started drinking those, and quickly got to enjoying them. Then I bought a porter kit from Midwest. I haven't looked back, probably half of my brews are porters these days. In fact, I am drinking one with dinner right now.

i really, really like michelob amber bock....also good to see the celebrator love

kostrizer, or a good dunkel (hofbrauhaus, warsteiner) or brown.

Try Goose Island Mild Winter.

Back