Leaking Carbonator Cap - Better Alternatives?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodbrews

Reaction score
I've be carbonating straight water in 2 liter bottles for several months. Recently, though, after blowing through three (!) 5lb tanks worth of CO2, I've isolated the leak in my system to my carbonator cap. I replaced the cap but am still having a slow leak from the new cap.

I'm now searching for alternatives for carbonating our water. I have space in my kegerator for a 3 gallon corny keg, so I'm thinking of using it for water and running a second tap just for water. (I already have one tap dedicated to beer).

So -- is there anything special about the faucet or lines I would need for soda water?

Also, since my kegerator is in the basement and we consume our sparkling water upstairs in the kitchen, is there any reason why I can't just fill a 2 liter bottle from the tap?

Thanks,
Woodbrews

I've never used it, but I've seen it around:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008071H8O/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I would guess that you could probably put a flat rubber seal inside one like this that you could replace often if needed. It may come with one already, I'm not sure.

I have noticed that my plastic carbonator cap sometimes leaks with certain bottles, and not with others....I haven't yet tried to smooth out the top lip, maybe there's some irregularity in the bottle plastic rather than the cap?

You can see here one guy's solution to on-demand carbonated water:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f95/demand-seltzer-water-479094/

Or you can just fill a keg with water and shake/wait to get it carbonated. But the on-demand way would be much more convenient.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not think the carbonator cap is intended for continual use like that. It is intended for you to hook up a gas connection to it, release gas into the bottle, shake it a bit, release gas, etc etc. The directions even mention turning the gas off after a short amount of time. So as far as I can tell, your issue is really not the cap so much as you're using it outside the limits because if you're losing 15 lbs of CO2 in a matter of months, it sounds like you keep it connected.

You need a keg. If you want a constant flow of carbonated water then you'll want to get a keg. I don't know what PSI you carbonate the water at but if it is like soda you'll need longer lines than you would for beer. Also, there is no reason not to fill a soda bottle of carbonated water from the tap and walk it upstairs. It'll lose carbonation over the next day or so if you open and close it but for a night of drinking carbonated water, it will work just fine.

I actually bought a stainless steel carbonator cap, but I haven't tried adding a rubber seal. I may have to give that a try. I think you're on to something about certain bottles leaking - I tend to re-use the same 2 liter bottles and perhaps they're just wearing out. It would be nice to find a better alternative.

That on-demand system is pretty cool, but I don't think I have a readily accessible water line near the basement refrigerator.

I do not think the carbonator cap is intended for continual use like that. It is intended for you to hook up a gas connection to it, release gas into the bottle, shake it a bit, release gas, etc etc. The directions even mention turning the gas off after a short amount of time. So as far as I can tell, your issue is really not the cap so much as you're using it outside the limits because if you're losing 15 lbs of CO2 in a matter of months, it sounds like you keep it connected.

You need a keg. If you want a constant flow of carbonated water then you'll want to get a keg. I don't know what PSI you carbonate the water at but if it is like soda you'll need longer lines than you would for beer. Also, there is no reason not to fill a soda bottle of carbonated water from the tap and walk it upstairs. It'll lose carbonation over the next day or so if you open and close it but for a night of drinking carbonated water, it will work just fine.

You're right - I've been leaving the bottles connected overnight because I've found it to be the easiest way to bring them up to the desired 30 PSI. Sitting there shaking the bottle for 5 minutes wasn't cutting it. If I go the keg route, how long does it take to bring a 3-gallon keg up to 30 PSI? Is it worth getting some sort of carbonating stone?

How about pointing the carbonator cap downward, so the bubbles have to go thru the length of the bottle? I hear this allows less shaking or shorter sitting.

I use the stainless version. I carb the 2L bottle 80-90% full of water. In 30 seconds by shaking the bottle.

Make sure the water is cold first (below 40F). I've been using 35psi.

I've noticed that better quality bottles like the plastic green Perrier bottles stand up much longer than the cheap 2L. But I think you have to remember, they are still made for single use. Something really thick like what they use for the sodastream is probably required for continual use.

For me, I usually end up getting lazy with the shake method, so my carbonation never comes out that good. I may try the leaving the bottle connected at least for a few hours. Generally I carbonate on demand, rather than ahead of time as well, so maybe that's the issue. Just need to let it stand under pressure for longer.

I have a stainless one. They're great. I usually brew a little more than the 5 gallons I need to fill a corny keg and then put the surplus into a 2L bottle, hook it up to the gas and use it as a growler.

I bought 2 of the SS ones a little while back when they were on sale. They both leak between the QD and the post part of the cap when it is connected. I am going to put some sort of thin rubber o ring in the top in hopes of stopping the leaking unless someone has a better solution.

if the rubber O-ring that's given with the carbonator cap isn't holding pressure, usually a bit of keg lube will do the job (I believe it's just DOW food grade grease)

alternatively the O-ring may need to be replaced if not, or maybe the ball lock connector is dirty inside and can't seal well?

Back