Leak free garden hose quick disconnects?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettwasbtd

Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone have a good recommendation on garden hose quick disconnects that don't leak? Moving to indoor brewing and trying to minimize unwanted liquid spills.

It depends on what you mean by "no leak." I don't think there are any quick disconnects that regulate flow by themselves, if that's what you mean. However, I just bought one of these to attach to a male NPT threaded Quick Disconnect.

Just throw a cheap garden-hose twist valve before the adapter. When you disconnect you'll probably spill a little, but not a lot.

Are you set on using a garden hose? Higher flow rate is a good thing with chillers for sure.

I use an adapter I cobbled together for my kitchen hose sprayer faucet to use with my plate chiller. That way the ground water doesnt have to go through 50ft of hose in the Texan sun before reaching my prechiller.

I don't have to go in and out of the kitchen during a brew. No big deal, just simplifies things a bit.

If not set on a garden hose I would go with the sam type of disconect as the wort side if using a plate chiller and you can alternate each brew.

If using an IC, garden hose is the way to go I reckon so disregard my ramblings

Last edited:
I have been using this one. So far it has worked great. I filter brewing water and water for 2 fish tanks, so I needed something that would stand up to a lot of use and wouldn't strip out.

It depends on what you mean by "no leak." I don't think there are any quick disconnects that regulate flow by themselves, if that's what you mean. However, I just bought one of these to attach to a male NPT threaded Quick Disconnect.

Just throw a cheap garden-hose twist valve before the adapter. When you disconnect you'll probably spill a little, but not a lot.
I have seem some plastic disconnects that even though they are connect would leak at the connection point - just not a tight seal. Not looking for any flow regulation. So that piece you link to it looks like I could screw that onto my utility sink faucet, then screw a male camlock type F and use camlocks...hmm interesting

Are you set on using a garden hose? Higher flow rate is a good thing with chillers for sure.

I use an adapter I cobbled together for my kitchen hose sprayer faucet to use with my plate chiller. That way the ground water doesnt have to go through 50ft of hose in the Texan sun before reaching my prechiller.

I don't have to go in and out of the kitchen during a brew. No big deal, just simplifies things a bit.

If not set on a garden hose I would go with the sam type of disconect as the wort side if using a plate chiller and you can alternate each brew.

If using an IC, garden hose is the way to go I reckon so disregard my ramblings
Might not have explained myself well enough, I have a IC with female hose ends. In the past I have always brewed outside and just went from the hose bib > hose > IC. Now I am moving inside and looking to connect my utility sink (about 12+ feet away) and looking to not have to plumb a dedicated line, though at this point I might as well just stick to regular garden hose fittings... decisions decisions

I have been using this one. So far it has worked great. I filter brewing water and water for 2 fish tanks, so I needed something that would stand up to a lot of use and wouldn't strip out.

This is what I was originally thinking though if I was to put it on the sink faucet, where I would also be filling my brew water are those rubber washers going to impart any flavors?

So that piece you link to it looks like I could screw that onto my utility sink faucet, then screw a male camlock type F and use camlocks...hmm interesting

Yeah, that's exactly what my plan is. It should be here by the end of the week, I'll try to remember to come back to this thread with the results. Have you tried just throwing some thread-tape on to improve the seal? Or is it leaking from a weird spot?

Yeah, that's exactly what my plan is. It should be here by the end of the week, I'll try to remember to come back to this thread with the results. Have you tried just throwing some thread-tape on to improve the seal? Or is it leaking from a weird spot?

I dont currently have quick disconnects. I have a friend who has plastic (black and green) garden hose disconnects and his leak really bad. I just wanted to avoid a specific brand if they are known to leak.

I use the standard quick disconnects that you get at the HD or Lowe's but make sure to buy some washers as well. Then they don't leak. If they ever start to leak then I replace the washers.

We have garden hose QDs in brass that are pretty high quality but the real problem is that when used with an IC, the output side gets pretty hot. The gaskets in these are only good for 140F or so before they get soft. Some of the replacement camlock gaskets (silicone) have an ID just small enough to work as replacements.

If you are adapting regular threads to hose fittings on the chiller, you can also just convert to camlock which will not leak at all regardless of the temp.

This is what I was originally thinking though if I was to put it on the sink faucet, where I would also be filling my brew water are those rubber washers going to impart any flavors?

I run mine into a carbon filter and haven't noticed any off flavor from the rubber washers. Someone else stated the same thing I have noticed, once the washers start to wear out they do start to leak a little, but replacing then fixes that easily.

I use Cam Lock on all my garden hoses. Get a hose bib to 1/2" and go to town. I love it because I use all cam lock stuff and I can use any hose in my brewery for anything.

Cheers
Jay

The only caveat with going cam directly on the hose bib is that most brewing hoses (silicone) cannot handle pressures much higher than 15psi and well/city pressures are in excess of 40psi. I've been trying to figure out an economical food grade high pressure hose that I can add camlocks to for this purpose.

The only caveat with going cam directly on the hose bib is that most brewing hoses (silicone) cannot handle pressures much higher than 15psi and well/city pressures are in excess of 40psi. I've been trying to figure out an economical food grade high pressure hose that I can add camlocks to for this purpose.

I'm glad you said that; I just spent $300+ in your store for a pump, tubes, clamps and hoses and I was going to do just that. I had no idea garden hoses had that high of pressure. Dang. Might be a good thing to put in the product description!

I'm still going to do it, but I'm not going to connect my hose to any of the 1/2" silicon.

I'm glad you said that; I just spent $300+ in your store for a pump, tubes, clamps and hoses and I was going to do just that. I had no idea garden hoses had that high of pressure. Dang.

I'm still going to do it, but I'm not going to connect my hose to any of the 1/2" silicon.

I recommend doing it once, with a piece of silicon you don't care about. It's pretty amazing to see how big that silicon hose can get. It's like in the cartoons.

Ohh yeah I must have forgotten... I buy the 9.99 white "water only" hoses at the hardware store (80 PSI rated) and cut the ends off. Sorry I am simple like that..LOL

Cheers
Jay

Man, when you figure this one out, please let me know! Been searching for the same thing. The braided reinforced silicone is $$$!

I use Cam Lock on all my garden hoses. Get a hose bib to 1/2" and go to town. I love it because I use all cam lock stuff and I can use any hose in my brewery for anything.

Cheers
Jay

I've always used QDs on my yard hoses and they eventually start leaking even with new gaskets or the ones I had are not available anymore and the new ones are just off enough to leak a little too. That's main reason I went with camlocks for the brewery. I was thinking of going camlocks on the yard hoses since they just work, durable and gaskets are easy. The only problem is I wish there was a comlock with a built in full flow valve. Of course you can piece one together but that gets huge.

So, when I get a chance I going to look for a valve that is short in length and with a small T-handle, if something like that exists. This would also be useful with the brewery camlocks.

I've been using these Kent disconnects from Bargain Fittings indoors with an IC for a couple of years with no leaks . . .

Kent - 1/2 NPT
EASY TO USE - 1/4 turn action. Good to 125 psi
FDA approved high temp nylon plastic. 250 degree F
Easy to use and a great entry level quick disconnect.
NO VALVE - OPEN FLOW!
MADE IN USA

You can see the Kent disconnects kind of hidden on the left. And yes, that's 3/8" ID air-line hose. It's connected to a pump in a bucket in my kitchen sink.

Hardwood floors would have me in deep doodoo if this ever leaks. :eek:

whirlpool_06.jpg

I have seem some plastic disconnects that even though they are connect would leak at the connection point - just not a tight seal. Not looking for any flow regulation. So that piece you link to it looks like I could screw that onto my utility sink faucet, then screw a male camlock type F and use camlocks...hmm interesting

Might not have explained myself well enough, I have a IC with female hose ends. In the past I have always brewed outside and just went from the hose bib > hose > IC. Now I am moving inside and looking to connect my utility sink (about 12+ feet away) and looking to not have to plumb a dedicated line, though at this point I might as well just stick to regular garden hose fittings... decisions decisions

Get yourself 25' of beverage hose (hi pressure) fitted with hose connections or an RV potable water hose. You can fill your HLT w/o having to lug it back & forth plus you can then connect to your chiller when ready. You can also add an inline charcoal filter later.

You can see the Kent disconnects kind of hidden on the left. And yes, that's 3/8" ID air-line hose. It's connected to a pump in a bucket in my kitchen sink.

Hardwood floors would have me in deep doodoo if this ever leaks. :eek:

Those are interesting! I'll have to google them. Thanks for sharing.

Latest posts

Back