LDME for Coopers Wheat!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

isaacandreas

Reaction score
Hello brewers.
I purchased a Thomas Coopers Wheat kit last week and was going to get it started five minutes ago, I double checked the instructions and it calls for 500g LDME, and 300g dextrose. I purchased plenty of dextrose this time but had no idea I needed something else. I did some research online but couldn't find any solid answers.
I had a terrible expirence and taste with my first ale, decent with my second, and was hoping third times the charm so I don't want to screw it up.
I was going to just use 800g dextrose but I figured theres a good reason there was no results in my search (probably shouldn't do it).
So anyway, my question, is it worth ordering LMDE online and waiting to get this batch'a'brewin? or could I safely use all dextrose and be satisfied with the results?
Kind of bummed I probably have to wait!!

Hello brewers.
I purchased a Thomas Coopers Wheat kit last week and was going to get it started five minutes ago, I double checked the instructions and it calls for 500g LDME, and 300g dextrose. I purchased plenty of dextrose this time but had no idea I needed something else. I did some research online but couldn't find any solid answers.
I had a terrible expirence and taste with my first ale, decent with my second, and was hoping third times the charm so I don't want to screw it up.
I was going to just use 800g dextrose but I figured theres a good reason there was no results in my search (probably shouldn't do it).
So anyway, my question, is it worth ordering LMDE online and waiting to get this batch'a'brewin? or could I safely use all dextrose and be satisfied with the results?
Kind of bummed I probably have to wait!!

I think you're gonna need either LME OR DME if you put in to much sugar you'll get more alcohol, but less flavor and it will probably be sweeter too.
But I'm just a newbe like you :)

Sugar usually dries out a beer; it won't make it sweeter unless you exceed the alcohol tolerance of the yeast, which kits beers rarely do.

Coopers kits aren't all that fantastic. I would move on to a reputable "fresh" kit supplier like AHS or Northern Brewer, or, of course, any good local homebrew store.

Sugar usually dries out a beer; it won't make it sweeter unless you exceed the alcohol tolerance of the yeast, which kits beers rarely do.

Coopers kits aren't all that fantastic. I would move on to a reputable "fresh" kit supplier like AHS or Northern Brewer, or, of course, any good local homebrew store.

OK I'm wrong about being sweeter, but he already has the can from Coopers. I've had some good results w/coopers. I did the same kit and added 3 lbs of Pale LME as reccomended by my LHBS. Came out nice.

okay so I will wait for the LME!
Bummer :(
although would a dry wheat be all that bad?
I'm kind of doing this more to save money, and minus my mistakes the first batch, coopers seems decent and easy. maybe after a couple months or longer I will investigate actually getting a kettle and brewing up beer the right way.. but for now simple and easy!

I did a 5 gallon batch Coopers wheat(1st time using this brand extract) + 3lbs Wheat malt extract + 1/2 oz sweat orange peel for 8 minutes. Hope it turns out out nice also C-rider.

i also have the coopers Austrailian lager. any sugestions for sugars? I have another Wheat malt extract..

Is it a no-boil kit?

I definitely wouldn't use sugar in place of dme, you'll lose out on alot of body and as stated above end up with a much drier beer.

Only the can is LME (Liquid Malt Extract). What Aussie's call "LDME" is "Light Dry Malt Extract". What we over here call "light DME" also typically means "plain",or un-hopped. There (cooper's) light DME is usually 1kg,or 2.2lbs.

Back