Lazy bottling method.. would it be OK..?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CDGoin

Reaction score
OK I want a few beers out of their specific fermentors, etc.. and I am cheap and lazy (OK more broke than cheap.. if I have money I spend like a woman).

Anyway, I think I have water issues with my two beers waiting for bottling. So they may not be as good as hoped. I don't want to bottle 50+ bottles especailly if its off as I think they maybe.

What if.. I transferred into 2L PET bottles but did not prime them. Just filled them to the top of the neck and just put them in the fridge for an extended cold conditioning. Then when I was ready for a few more bottles I could just prime what I wanted or had room for, and leave the rest in the PET bottles..? If its not good, then I could just dump them without having to deal with a lot of bottles of bad beer.

I don't want to carb them in the PET bottles, because I may not want to drink 2L of beer in a sitting.. also if the beer turns out good in the part of the batch I bottle, I may want them in bottles after all. By not conditioning the PET bottles, I can prime and bottle in bottles.

Also anyone ever take two beers (I.e. Yuengling Black and Tan) and make a black and tan in the bottling bucket and then bottle..?

On that note, if I have a beer with slight off flavors, that a commercial beer may help cover if I diluted my bad beer. Has anyone tried to mix finished beer with unfinished and then prime and cap that..?

Just curious is all.. as I am running out of room, and have three beers that aren't so good. I want to try again but with bottled water and the last two are sitting here taunting me, and my first batch (In the bottles) is at best drinkable, at worst tastes like pond water.

While there is value in tasting your unfinished beer IMo you should bottle them up and give them a few weeks to carb up and condition, you may be pleasantly surprised with the final product!

You can't really try and do what you want to do successfully and would probably wind up dumping it all anyways so finish what you started and go from there

(OK more broke than cheap.. if I have money I spend like a woman).

I just have to ask- what does "spend like a woman" mean? It sure sounds like an insult but since I'm a frugal tightwad I don't get it.

Anyway, I'm not sure what you're trying to do. If you don't want to bottle all your beer, you can store it for a while in the fermenter. But you don't want oxidation from storing it long term where there is a lot of headspace.

I don't see how you can bottle from the 2L bottles without causing oxidation in the finished beer. You don't want to pour beer (it'll ruin it pretty quickly) into the bottles and siphoning from the 2L bottle would be really tedious. I'd probably just go ahead and prime and bottle in the 2L bottle and be done with it.

I just have to ask- what does "spend like a woman" mean? It sure sounds like an insult but since I'm a frugal tightwad I don't get it.

Anyway, I'm not sure what you're trying to do. If you don't want to bottle all your beer, you can store it for a while in the fermenter. But you don't want oxidation from storing it long term where there is a lot of headspace.

I don't see how you can bottle from the 2L bottles without causing oxidation in the finished beer. You don't want to pour beer (it'll ruin it pretty quickly) into the bottles and siphoning from the 2L bottle would be really tedious. I'd probably just go ahead and prime and bottle in the 2L bottle and be done with it.

There was a study done a few years back where they checked the price on identical pull over sweaters. In the men's wear section they were priced $25 to $30 but in the women's clothing section these same sweaters were priced $50 to $150 because the women would pay it. I know that sounds sexist but that was how it was. You ladies get the shaft on clothing.

There was a study done a few years back where they checked the price on identical pull over sweaters. In the men's wear section they were priced $25 to $30 but in the women's clothing section these same sweaters were priced $50 to $150 because the women would pay it. I know that sounds sexist but that was how it was. You ladies get the shaft on clothing.

Ah, that's true. But since I shop at Goodwill, and wear some kids' clothes, I don't spend money on stuff like that.

True story- my dad sent me some Christmas money and I wanted some "good" warm slippers. I bought some kids' Sorels at Zappos. They fit perfectly, and I'm thrilled.

But with the rest of the money, I bought some brewing gear! :D

(Sadly he passed away right after Christmas and he never got to see what I bought with the money he sent).

Anyway, I'm still trying to think of a way to bottle by not bottling, and I can't think of a practical way at all to do with the OP suggests.

This is because you apparently have never given the Wife one of your credit cards to go "pick up a few things at Kohls"..

Not saying all women are like this..

Being frugal is OK.. and I do it when I am short on cash..

That said when I am not short on cash I tend to not worry what I am spending on things. Like projects that get stuck in my head and I have to complete them :

minikegpump.jpg

Lets suffice to say this was WAY more expensive than I thought would spend.

The most expensive part was the 3/4" Street Elbow ($9) that had to go to a Machine shop to be rethreaded with 1-1/8"-18 threads and getting the cap threaded ($75). Then there was the trying to get all the right fittings (So I had a lot of left overs from websites (which would cost me more to ship back than the refund), the pump and faucet, multiple seals to get it to seal up, etc.. etc.. etc..

I could have easily cut the cost by 75% if I went with a barb and a picnic faucet and a plastic pump. In the end I was going more for looks over function.. as its a piece or art to me now.. :)

Anyway, I think I will see if I can find 1L PET bottles and just condition in them.

I was also thinking of 25oz Aluminum bottles.. any reason those wouldn't work..?

"This is because you apparently have never given the Wife one of your credit cards to go "pick up a few things at Kohls"

FYI-Yooper is female............

It is worth noting that women who over spend tend to do it in the 100 to 200 dollar items. (Shoes, clothes etc) Men who over spend tend to do it on 10ks items like boats and cars.

Not all of each follows this pattern. And Mr yooper is lucky that Yooper is so frugal

Anyway, I'm still trying to think of a way to bottle by not bottling, and I can't think of a practical way at all to do with the OP suggests.

What ways CAN you think of it.. ?

BTW.. I think I found a frugal (but far from cheap) alternative.

A local craft brewer close to me sells 1L growlers for $5..

That said I have to spend $5-$11 per to fill said growlers.

THAT said.. a 1L growler costs $6 ($8 online with shipping) at the LHBS

A 22 OZ of said beer costs $12 at the store.

So.. Math says:

Per oz $0.55 for 22 OZ

Growler is 32OZ or $17.60 for the BEER

I pay $16 for a growler with said beer in it

I save $1.60

So my 20 1L bottles I saved $32 and didnt spend a dime..

I can save even more if I go there and get the house Beer (A Very nice Singel). I want to say the Single is $6 for a growler.. so I save $5 a growler more..

So $20 of them saves me another $100.. Hmmm..

BTW this is the same math my wife uses on me with clothes :ban:

Just sayin'

Latest posts

Back