Layering Crystal Malts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew_Meister_General

Reaction score
This is the malt profile for my up-coming bitter, I'm striving for a big toffee flavour so I've focused on the Crystal 400 although have 'layered' the crystal malts by adding some 60 and 200.

Is this a concept that people often come across?

What would you do to get a big toffee flavour? Maybe add more 200/400?

Maris Otter - 3500g
Torrified Wheat - 300g
CaraGold 10 - 600g
Crystal 60 - 100g
Crystal 200 - 100g
Crystal 400 - 400g
Chocolate - 100g

Thanks.

Not sure what the effect of this will be. Following the thread to see what it turns out like.

Seems like an awful lot of crystal at 1200g for 24%. I do like layering crystals for more complexity in ambers and some darker ales, though I don't think I've ever used more than 2 varieties in the same beer. I would think the 400 would give you the most toffee.

Seems like an awful lot of crystal at 1200g for 24%. I do like layering crystals for more complexity in ambers and some darker ales, though I don't think I've ever used more than 2 varieties in the same beer. I would think the 400 would give you the most toffee.

Yeah I cut the darker ones downs, the 200 had a harsh taste when sampling this so I only used 50g of that and then 250g of the 400. Right now it has plenty of flavour for an ordinary bitter of 3.3% (and an FG of 15 which means I mashed a bit too high) although a bit of an unpleasant bitterness that I hope dissolves when its ready for drinking.

Back