Double IPA Lawson’s Double Sunshine IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a batch of this fermenting right now. I used the recipe in Zymurgy as my base and it seems pretty close to this one. Only difference I had to make was to sub out the Columbus for some Apollo. Was really interested in how the large amounts of whirlpool hops would turn out. I did a standard hoppy water profile and stuck with 1056. I've only had the real stuff once at GABF a few years ago. Even with all the sampling I did that one did stand out. Really excited to see where this one goes.

-Edit -

Forgot to add for the Caramunich part I did half CaraMunich 60L and half CaraRed.

Last edited:
Looking to brew this either tonight or this weekend. Wondering what your choice was for Caramunich Type Malt? Also, any info on the water profile you used? TIA. Samples look great.
I don’t think i treated my water, i just recently started doing that. As for the caramalt, i used what my local shop had on hand.

Got this one transferred and kegged. Force carbed for a day and then set at serving pressure for most of today. After the first mini pour and letting it settle WOW. Aroma is awesome. So much tropical, pineapple citrus on the nose from the Citra. Great beer so far.

Had this one in the keg for a month now and it's still pouring fantastic. Aroma has dropped a little but the flavors have rounded out and that Citra really shines with such a great malt backbone. Definitely going to rebrew this one for the summer.

Attachments

• IMG_0479.jpg
    IMG_0479.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 300
Easily my favourite recipe right now, brewed it twice and it's just fantastic.

Never had the original but decided to brew 2.5 gals of this because of all of the folks raving about this beer. Pulled my final hydro and bottled this today! Mine came in at 8.8%

IMG_1715.jpg

Update:

Damn! Never had this beer, can’t get down in Mississippi. Best beer I have ever brewed and bottled. I typically keg.

IMG_2248.jpg

I had this beer last summer after hearing about it for 2-3 years from a friend. After I finished the four pack he brought down I searched for the recipe and saw it online at BYO. This recipe is the same as has been noted already.
I've made this 5 times now and has been great every time. I've messed around with the hops a bit. One brew I was short on Citra so only used 2 oz @5 and 2 oz @ knockout. This was the favorite batch according to my neighbors.
I've also replaced the citra with a el dorado/mosaic mix at the same levels as the citra. Not as good as the all citra in the original recipe but still a good beer.

I've been using London Ale yeast for past 4 brews and like it the best.

Back