Lavender question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefPepperoni

Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone!

I’m getting ready to make Lemon Lavender Pale Ale or Pilsner and am just looking for some feedback.

I’ve worked with a lot of lavender in cooking over the years and I know it can be quite overpowering if it isn’t used correctly. I was thinking of using .25 oz lavender and .5 oz lemon zest.

I feel it’s worth mentioning that I am a new brewing enthusiast and am actually using a beer making kit for my first few batches. My plan was to add the lemon and lavender to the wort and hot mixture before fermenting.

Is my math and procedures correct? If not, all suggestions are welcome.

Kris

Kris, is this a 5 gal kit? I guess it all depends on how much Lemon and lavender you want to taste in the beer. I made a grut once that had some lavender in it and it was really good, but it is a strong flavor. There are many ways to add it to the beer, as you plan in the last part of the boil, and at bottling with a vodka tincture are two I have tried with good results. The tincture method has a little more control because you can dose to taste. I'd make a strong tincture with both the lemon and lavender and about a cup or two of vodka. Good luck. :mug:

Back