Lauter screen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would it need to be suspended to act as a false bottom or is it tall enough as is to just be set on the bottom of a kettle with a dip tube going though it?

wired247 said:
I'll try to slip an order in but don't hold your breath. You might consider partnering up with someone If I make the order for 3X6 screens you could conceivably get 6 screens out of a sheet. I don't mind importing this stuff but I have no interest in importing material and cutting them to size and keeping a stock of items on hand for retail sale. Group buy of material is about as far as I'd want to go.

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath. Heck, I'm not even really expecting it. But I definitely want in if it happens. Only reason I even missed this buy was an unfortunate bit of confusion.

Just got mine....

Yowza!

Somebody organize a group buy and contact wired247 with an order.

You'll be impressed by the screen, its amazing.

Time to fab a false bottom now.

VFib said:
Just got mine....

Yowza!

Somebody organize a group buy and contact wired247 with an order.

You'll be impressed by the screen, its amazing.

Time to fab a false bottom now.

Pics now

-=Jason=-
Sent from my HTC Incredible using Home Brew Talk

That is some interesting material. If I had the cash, I would definitely be going for the group buy. Hopefully some people can get together with you so we can see more examples of this product!

I got mine too! Very cool. Gonna fab some sheetmetal strips about 1" wide and wrap it around the screen when I get the circles cut out. I will tack weld it every inch or so then cut it in half and fab a hinge.

Will try to post pics when I am finished. I have yet been able to get a pic to actually post though.

find someone with a plasma cutter or laser.

A laser or waterjet would be the best way to go. I am going to use cut off wheels cause its what I have.

On a side note, There will be enough material left from the 2 x 4 sheet i got to make a false bottom for a small hop back( asparagus pot ).

I'm going to have some for what for us would be scrap pieces of 2mm gap 6" round stock. It would be fgood for experimentation with a center lauter screen or hop back. email me at [email protected] if you would be interested in such a thing. 1 foot long sections probably.

20111209103118.jpg

20111209103128.jpg

is super interested in some of this screen for my mashtun build. anyone else interested? i would love to get maybe 3 of these.

Yeah i got in contact. Im researching the price from China but if there is any interest in this from others let me know.

OK. Looks like I will be putting an order together from China for screen. This is is wedge wire stainless welded dewatering screen . Its what breweries use in their lauter tun floors.This time I'll likely do 1/2 meter by 1/2 meter screen with 1mm openings and 3mm wire. Cost would be in the $75 range per unit plus actual shipping from Oregon to you.

I don't believe group buys are allowed on this forum unless someone corrects me so this thread might get shut down for whatever reason. Who knows. . My email is [email protected] if you are interested. This order will be piggybacking a large tubular screen order I am placing so the additional shipping costs and brokerage fees will be minimal. This is the only way I can keep the overall price down.

Once I settle on a size, unless something goes more favorably than I think it will , its more than likely going to be a common size. So if I can get 15-20 orders for screen stock sections of the same size it will make it a lot easier. I may not get that many and I may be under their minimum. I'll give it two weeks before I place the order and I will see how much interest there is but when it comes time I will collect in advance for everything but the shipping. It might take 2-3 months from China. These guys do very good screen work but it is China and shipping and especially customs are a pain. If I didnt have to order this stuff for processing needs where I work I wouldnt because the customs brokers are such a PITA to deal with.

Anyway 2 weeks. I have two interested parties so far. I might never do this again so if its something you might want, strike while the iron is hot ( what the hell does that mean anyway? ) . I'm an ass to deal with if you start thinking I'm burger king and you want things your way. I'm more the Henry Ford kind of guy. One size fits all and you can cut to fit.

Back